Weight loss and small poop - HELP

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidgeyy

Chinchilla lost about 100g and his poops have been small for the last day or two.

I've just ordered some lifeline, but I don't know when that will get here since it's the weekend. I can grab some CC at work, though I just tried to give him some today and he wanted no part of it. This stuff is expired but I had wanted to see if I could get him to eat it. He usually gobbles it right up. He is munching on hay and he's hopping around like normal. He doesn't feel skinny and he's been acting fine aside from the recent small poop. I've slacked off with weighing him(which I know I shouldn't have and I'm so mad at myself for it) so I don't know how quickly this happened.

I'm going to get him into work ASAP. The exotic vet isn't in tomorrow and we are closed on Sundays.
What should I do in the mean time? There is nothing that he should have gotten to that could have caused a blockage or anything.

When I encountered small poo I always assume what goes in goes out, it usually means he is not eating rather than eating and is constipated. I would hand feed him until he can get to a vet for a diagnosis.

Last night he had eaten a decent amount, but he didn't drink as much as I wanted him to(though it's a large bottle and it's difficult to tell even when I marked it). I don't think he ate as much hay as I would have liked though.

He pooped a decent amount too, and they look a big larger, but I'm still concerned about his weight loss.

He's still chewing on his sticks and his pumice, and bouncing around like normal.

Another question... How do you go about cleaning them up after a messy CC feeding? I wiped it off and gave him a dust bath, but I want to avoid further complications. He's not easy to handle at all and after I did manage to calm him down, he did feel a little scrawny. I don't want to overly stress him out right now.

The exotic vet is in surgery on monday so I can bring him into work with me that morning.

I also would like to know how many grams of pellets a chin should be eating overnight? He ate 9, but I feel that he usually eats more than that.

He's also eating more hay since I ran out to get a bag. He's still not eating at much as I would like but it's a start. As long as something is getting into him, that's fine.
I have ordered some Essentials for Life, and some Life Line is already on the way. He's still refusing the CC so I've been trying to force some into him. This is the most that I've actually handled him ever... Since he's always been so terrified of me I've only stuck to petting him.

He's still bouncing around like normal, he chewed some more last night as well. He's not pooping as much because he's not eating as much, but some of his poop did look larger than before. When drinking, he's taking small breaks every 3-4 sips as if it bothers him... Which is out of character for him as he usually sits there sipping forever. This just adds to my suspicions that it's a mouth problem.

He's all matted under his chin from the messy CC feedings and he appears rather ticked off at me when I'm done. :/

He's at work now, I'm just waiting for her to finish a dental so he can get an x-ray done.

Back