Weight History

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strevale

Does anyone have a chart of weights from birth on for a healthy chin? It would be great to have some examples I can look at all the time instead of asking every week or so how much my babies should weigh.

It is my understanding that Chins come in at different weights like most animals (even humans are animals). The thing to watch for is if they are consistently gaining weight, not necessarily what weight they are.

clb is absolutely correct. It'd be like going to the pediatrician and asking for weight charts on all children. While they do currently have a system for determining what range your child falls in...there are exceptions especially considering genetic family history and predisposition. That said, for the first few months of life chinchillas gain pretty consistently. If your chin is 100g by 1 month, 200g by 2 months, 300g by 3 months your chinchilla is doing just fine. BUT, if your 3 month old is 275g it's nothing to be concerned about. If your 3 month old is 220g and has exceptionally small animals in it's lineage...it may not be anything to be concerned about. Monitor YOUR chinchilla and if it's gaining (from day one to 14months) or staying the same (after 14months) your chinchilla is normal ;)

My recorded weights over the last 14 years;
Birthweight: Low: 26g High: 102g
Weaning Weight Low: 175g High:402g
Weight @ 1 year Low: 382g High:916g
Weight @ 3 year Low: 392g High:1371g

If your chin is healthy and between the weights listed above you're doing great. :D

My recorded weights over the last 14 years;
Birthweight: Low: 26g High: 102g
Weaning Weight Low: 175g High:402g
Weight @ 1 year Low: 382g High:916g
Weight @ 3 year Low: 392g High:1371g

If your chin is healthy and between the weights listed above you're doing great. :D

Thanks!

My personal rule of thumb is a 5% of body weight loss warrants a agressive watch on weight, a 10% loss chin goes to the vet.

My personal rule of thumb is a 5% of body weight loss warrants a agressive watch on weight, a 10% loss chin goes to the vet.

Ah, but don't newborn kits lose percentage of body weight, much like human newborns? I know human newborns can lose up to 10% of birth weight before it's considered dangerous. I wonder if it's the same for newly born kits. You just gave me things to research just when I was about to close the internet lol!

I meant adult chins, forgot what section I was in, thanks for the catch I know squat about kits other than they are cute!

I meant adult chins, forgot what section I was in, thanks for the catch I know squat about kits other than they are cute!

Lol you probably know more then I do experience wise. All my knowledge comes from these boards and other research. I'm still waiting to get my first chin. Only been waiting for ten plus years. :p

At three weeks my kits are over 100g, is this too much?

I'm wondering the same thing myself. I just weighed Shana's kit this morning (baby is exactly one month old today) and he's 166gm. Is that a good weight or is he heavy for his age? He's the only kit from this litter (her first and last) and Shana has just been awesome with him, letting him nurse whenever he wants... which is pretty much all day long!

I might be wrong, but I'm pre"tty sure kits cant be "to heavy" as long as they are gaining they should be ok.

I have five week olds that are currently 200g. There is no right size for kits, as long as they're gaining and gaining WELL then they're fine. Some lines grow quick and stop early, some grow slow and stop late...some grow quick and stop late (these ones get huge). As long as they're gaining, you're good.

Weight gain can vary quite a bit. Some of the factors include size of parents, number in litter, and birth weight. Also, some moms just have more milk than others and some have their milk come in sooner than others. Typically ours are between 150 and 200 grams by the time they are a month old. We have had a litter of three where the kits were only about 100 grams at one month and we had to supplement goats milk. We have had single births where the kit was 250 grams by one month of age.

Latest posts

Back