Weight gain in PCSR

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snickers

The people that feed PCSR has your chins gained a lot of weight?

I feed my chins feed, hay, and rotate treats (apple sticks, shredded wheat and sometimes gogi berries) they all have gained a lot of weight. They all have wheels. I have 2 babies born April 11th the female is almost 700 grs the male 666 grs. I just weighed the mom she is 1000 grs father is 900 grs (usually he's around 856). I have babies from June 5th that are over 350 grs, baby born July 12th is 260, and 4 born 08/01 all around 150 grs, (except one I am hand feeding).

My chins all gained weight when I switched from Tradition to PCRS - I dont think it was as dramatic as 300g but I would guess the average was 100-150gs or so. I attributed some of that to the fact they seem to actually eat more of the pellets rather than chewing half and dropping them.

I've notice a small 50-100g gain over the course of a year. I was originally feeding Mazuri. Nothing too dramatic to cause worry though.

I was feeding Mazuri before switching to PRCS and every single one of my chins has had weight gain. Attributing weight gain is kind of tricky, but when I started seeing gains in not just my females who were pregnant, and started seeing consistent gains in all my males I was sure it was the feed as that was the only difference. I really haven't been on the new feed all that long, only a couple of months and all my males have gained between 60-125 grams so far, and three of the four of them are several years old, so I'm sure its not just the fact that they are still growing. Every week the numbers are just getting bigger and bigger across the board. I'm really curious just how much weight gain I could attribute to the feed for one of my pregnant gals. She was weighing in at 642 grams before getting pregnant and now is due any day and weighing in at 991. I'm thinking with a gain like that she must be carrying triplets. But if so, and the babies would be likely to account for around 150 grams or so, that still leaves another 200 grams gained.... Guess I'll just have to keep waiting so I can get the kits weights and see where her weight bottoms out at.

My chins have been on PSCR for a long time but it just seems they have gained from 50 to 100 grs, I have a male born 2008 that was 724 grs June 2011 now he is 921 grs. Another male born Sept 2009 weighed 813 June 2011 now 930 grs. Maybe it is just the males that are gaining the weight.

I really doubt its just the males gaining weight, its just that its easier to attribute weight gain in the males to feed. I know for me, my females are harder to gauge because they are either still young and growing, or are at some point in the pregnancy cycle. The only way to check if the females are putting on weight due to feed that I can think of is to compare the weights a couple weeks after having given birth when their weight is at the lowest point. I've only been using PRSC for a couple months so far, so I don't really have a proper data set to say for sure, but I would guess that all of them are putting on weight.

I get mine at a local feed and farm supply store. Here it's only $18.95 for a 50 pound bag, which is about half the price of a 25 lb bag of Mazuri.

I get mine at the feed store, too. If a 50 pound bag is too much for you, you always order it from one of the members on here that sells it.

Back