Weight gain- good or bad?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie'sMum

Nutz over Chins
Millie went to the vet for the first time NOV 30 and weighted 531 grams, and I just bought a digital scale, because I finally remembered when I was in Walmart, and weighed her this afternoon. She weighs 558 grams as of JAN 13...but I am also unsure of her age because I rescued her from Houston SPCA, so of course they couldn't tell me her BDAY either...thoughts or concerns?

Thank you in advance...please don't tell me she could be pregnant :banghead:because I will need to get some of your cell phone numbers for those that breed to walk me through stuff and console me :) I wouldn't want my lil Millie going through that either, poor baby. Plus I have no intention of ever breeding! BUT, if she were to be prego than I would provide for her just the same, except with more caution and tons more questions!

Was she caged with a male? It could be that she is on better food and hay. She could be happier and eating more.

That is not a huge increase and most likely is due to quality food and hay! Here's to hoping! :)

Do you know if she was caged with a male at some point?

oh yea forgot to add there was no information provided to HSPCA, and they are not really knowledgable from my experience of the few minutes I was there to pick her up. She was housed by herself when I saw her. So no clue on her background what so ever. She has been super friendly and has easily adapted to me and our move/drive from Houston, TX to Cleveland OH. She has been on Oxbow pellet since the first week of NOV, along with organic timothy hay (2nd cut) and I mix it with Oxbow Botanical Hay for variety, and she has a flying saucer which she is on for bursts at a time, chin safe toys/fleece/wood all purchased from vendors here, fresh changed daily water, and of course supervised playtime for a few hours(don't yell at me please :) she has access to her open cage in my room and she rests for more than half that time in/out of cage but then goes as she pleases. I am in my room doing lots of hmwk and feel awful she is locked in her cages for over 20 hours, so I think its only fair she have a few hours to popcorn, wall surf, dust a few times/wk, and jump all over me in a little larger area(its not that much larger but has plenty of levels for her to climb and perch on after I have chin-proofed it. So with all the exercise I would have thought she would have stayed same weight or lost. I am trying to argue my point about playtime and give lots of description so you have a better clue to her diet and exercise. She is really happy as I can see and hearing her chinchilla language and comparing it to
http://www.chinchilla-sounds.de/index_en.htm

Thank you both for your thoughts on new, better diet. I never thought of it that way! I tend to think the worst and was actually kinda nervous!

She is probably just happier and nomming on lots more food. Keep on eye on her for another month or so. If you don't see babies then you know you are in the clear.

Oh forgot to add this just in case: so if I got her NOV 8, I need to be on the watch till March 1st right, for the average of 111 days? I hope I will be moved into my new apt by then!
But a pregnant female should not be as active as her right? wouldn't they be less active due to babies on board? I mean she can't seem to sit still for spurts of 20 minutes...then she rests for like another 30 minutes and so on....???
Ok I think I am starting to panic! Please pray that she is not prego! Those horror stories on those threads would be horrible to live through...omg
I shouldn't worry right? ....sigh...

Don't panic. I only suggested it because you are not 100% sure that she was not caged with a male. Chins gestation is about 111 days. You should know by the end of Feb/early March if she is preggo. Mine will run and stop during her playtime too. I've even seen her take naps. :D It is not a huge weight gain, but you will just want to keep an eye on her just incase.
I've never had a pregnant chin. Hopefully a breeder can chime in on how a pregnant chin really acts.

Thank you Cindy! You ROCK! Hopefully we will be the same way by never having a pregnant chin ;) Ok I will keep an eye on the date, but my eyes are always on my lil fuzz ball!!!

Pregnant chinchillas can be very active up to the day of giving birth. Most however slow down some during the last month or so. Just keep an eye on her. with the amount of time and the relatively small amount of weight gain, she probably is in the clear. You'll know for sure after the 11 days have passed.

My Chichi was normally active until 1-2 weeks before she gave birth. I noticed about a week before, that she wasn't playing like normal. She was laying on her side and really didn't want to do anything. That friday I had kits running around. LOL.

Hopefully she isn't pregnant, but looking back on the pictures Chichi definitely looks quite plump at that time! :p

Just an update...no babies..yet almost out of the clear and weighed her today and she is now 568g. I am thinking she was still a youngin' when i rescued her maybe 6 months or something and shes just growing...? just a thought and status i would share....

Thank you!! She's spoiled rotten and I can't wait till the movers get here with her new FN 142 so i can put it together/set it up and she her go nuts in it and love it!!! I just cant get enough of her!

Back