Weeping Eyes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlshepherd

A few weeks ago I took my chinchilla to the vet because she had dampness around her eyes and I feared the worse and thought it was teeth related so I took her in for some X-rays. Luckily they saw that her teeth are perfectly fine, however, she has inflamed cheek pads, both of them. The vet couldn't see why they were inflamed, no cuts or anything. Regardless she was given some antibiotics and inflamitaries. The vet said that her tear duct was also a little inflamed so that the meds would sort her out.

After her meds the dampness around her eye didn't change, I can't check her cheek pads to see if they improved either.

The main thing was that she didn't get worse though. Until now, her other eye is starting to weep too. I haven't changed anything in their cage or their diet. She shares the cage with her mate and he is totally fine.

I'm taking her to the vets on Wednesday. I'm just curious if anyone else had this problem too?

iv had a chin get watery damp eyes. Had to give him some eye drops, but it cleared up. I hope yours gets better!

Sometimes it can take a while for an issue with food shows up. Pet food is somewhat regulated by the FDA but "There is no requirement that pet foods have pre-market approval by FDA. The Act does require that pet foods, like human foods, be safe to eat, produced under sanitary conditions, contain no harmful substances, and be truthfully labeled." (http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/ResourcesforYou/ucm047111.htm)

I was unaware of this until my vet mentioned it when I took my chin to him for a checkup. My vet cautioned me about buying just any food/treats for my chin and recommended Oxbow brand as a safe brand to feed.

Perhaps your chin is reacting to something in his/her feed or hay or treats? Just an idea, I hope you find the answer.

Back