Weaning, bringing home, etc.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinder and Me

~Scuba Chick~
It has been sooooo long since I've had a baby chin, so I've forgotten some info over the past decade+.

What age do breeders typically wean babies and allow them to go home with their new pet-parents?

I have a 3' wide, 4' tall, 2.5' deep cage with wooden ledges and shelves that we built and a Chin Spin. I seem to remember that babies shouldn't be allowed to go into a cage that is too tall since they are still learning to leap and be accurate/careful. Is this true? Should I block her off to the lower half of the cage? For how long?

When can I introduce the Chin Spin? And I'm assuming a 1" x 4" opening on the cage walls are too big for a baby, right? I'll need to baby proof the cage with....what? I read about fabric mesh for baby proofing a cage, but is this the typical - is there anything else that is better?

Treats: Can I give her/him plain cheerios, rose hips, chew sticks, hay cubes right off the bat or do I need to let her/him mature a little? This isn't my first rodeo, so I know obviously no raisins, fruits, veggies, etc. :thumbsup:

Thanks to anyone who answers my questions. :)

What age do breeders typically wean babies and allow them to go home with their new pet-parents?
I believe at 8 weeks, they are ready to go to their new homes.

When can I introduce the Chin Spin? And I'm assuming a 1" x 4" opening on the cage walls are too big for a baby, right? I'll need to baby proof the cage with....what? I read about fabric mesh for baby proofing a cage, but is this the typical - is there anything else that is better?
The wheel can be introduced at 6+ months of age, as can playtime.
Hardware cloth can be used to baby proof a cage, and I think that chicken wire would also work.

I wean at 8 weeks. If you were buying from me, I would recommend you block off half of that cage until the little one grows a bit. Putting an 8-10 week old chin into a 4 foot tall cage may be a recipe for disaster if he/she should happen to fall from the highest level.

You can play with your chin, but it is not recommended to give them a wheel until they are over six months so they can put all the calories they have towards growing. Chins have been known to almost run themselves to death, becoming emaciated because they are on the wheel all the time. I've had people write me telling me their chin is dying because it is so skinny. First thing I ask? Do you have a wheel? In many cases just removing the wheel is enough for the chin to gain back it's lost weight.

Chins have been known to almost run themselves to death, becoming emaciated because they are on the wheel all the time. I've had people write me telling me their chin is dying because it is so skinny. First thing I ask? Do you have a wheel? In many cases just removing the wheel is enough for the chin to gain back it's lost weight.

OMG! :( Thanks for telling me that, I'll be sure to introduce the wheel at 6+ months old.

For playtime, is it ok to bring them into a spare (chin-proof) bedroom and let them run/play? I wanted to get some chin "furniture" for her/him to play on as well.

Gosh its been so long since I've had a baby chin...

I am getting a new chin from a breeder, but he says she won't be ready in til she is 12 weeks old. Is this not normal or to old for me to books with her? Are there advantages to her staying with a breeder longer than 8 weeks? Not trying to hijack a thread, it just made me wonder.

I wean babies at 8 weeks old but don't send them to new homes till they are closer to 10 weeks. That way I know they are eating and gaining well on there own. No treats till 6+ months. No wheel till they are older. Playtime can be done but small amounts (10 mins tops) till they grow up some.

Latest posts

Back