We have poo!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaDi

You Have No Idea!
LORD ALMIGHTY THERE IS POOP IN SKYLAR'S CAGE!

Took 10 days, but it is there!

Now, one was a large one with some smaller ones attached. They are a little wet, not too wet, but they have a goo over them. Should this be kind of normal since she hasn't gone in so long???

We still are handfeeding and she doesn't show interest in her own pellets yet. Vet said to skip one of the feedings and provide hay mixed with a little pumkpin to see if she will eat that in place of handfeeding.

Thoughts from my experts!?

Excellent news! :)

In my experience - Skylar's droppings will be all over the place in terms of consistency for a few days because her guts have been sluggish - I would keep going with the feeds until you are seeing good amounts of consistent droppings.
Then you can try weaning her off the feeds.

Try scattering healthy high fibre, no sugar foods around her cage to tempt her to eat - a crumbled mini shredded wheat, some alfalfa, a few dried herbs .... it gets them interested in food again & satisfies their natural desire to forage.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Um, you said her booty looked sore.Make sure she is not starting a rectal prolapse.That she would need to see the vet for ASAP!

Thanks! Gotta try to find some healthy fiber to scatter. Should I keep adding the little bit of pumpkin to her food??

Mercy, totally thought of the prolapse and was watching for signs. Her botty was just red and a little swollen. Just took her out to add neopsorin and it already looks a lot calmer. I guess pushing out all that new poo was just rough!

How long should I keep her on the Reglan?? Vet gave me more yesterday ... prob 5 or 6 days worth. 2x a day.

I'd keep her on until you're sure she is pooping normally - when she is producing droppings regularly then you can tail it off.
I tend to give 2-3 days after they start pooping just so that I can be sure everything is working properly.

That is GREAT news!! Thrilled to hear you are starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel!! Sooo very happy for you! You know, you gotta admit, us chinchilla folk probably look kinda funny to outsiders since we even get excited over poop! hahahaha:dance3:

LOL! I knew I could post how excited I was to see poo here and you would all understand! HAHA!

Just hoping to see it continue and start seeing her eat on her own!

Back