Ways to cut down on the smell!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you or your husband is a bit handy, a pull out pan with a wire bottom is a dream come true. There aren't many cages easier to clean then that. As for the cost of shavings DO NOT buy them at a pet store, find a TSC(tractor supply company, we have them here in Detroit, so I bet you have em too) or a feed store that sells shavings normally used for horse stables. You will get a giant bag for a fraction of the price you pay at the pet store.

Yep I have one that is in Monroe MI and here in town, not that far from me. I am definitely going to go there and get them, and try to make a drawer.

To keep the shavings in, or to keep those pesky "flying pellets" in the cage at shelf height, most hardware stores will cut plexiglass into 2 or 3 inch strips, [or larger] that can be cut to length, drilled for mechanics wire and hung on the outside of the cage to keep things in. Your chins shouldn't be able to chew them if hung even with a horizontal bar, and usually won't mess with wire, if wrapped tight. Use wire though, they love zip ties!
The Big "R" Store around here sells compressed kiln dried pine chips, about 25lbs. for around $5 a bag - it's about $6 at the feed stores!
Since I have a few "older" pans with some corrosion, I put down a fine mist of ODOBAN with a spray bottle, and let it dry well before putting the shavings in - works for me! I've even been asked why there's no smell in the chin room, from my kids friends!

Last edited:
I use fleece liners in both of my cages. I'll leave one liner in for 2-3 days, then switch it out with a clean one and wash the original. All of my boys use litter pans, so the only daily cleaning I have to do is scoop out the litter pans and sweep up the poo on the liners, and of course the hay they've strung all over the place.

I haven't had any problems yet with smell while using fleece liners. I second the idea of using pine for litter in the litter pans...that's what I use.

I used fleece with my guinea pigs. Trick for me was two layers of newspaper, and two layers (sewn together) of fleece. Chins would mess with the paper and I have a couple MAJOR fleece chewers.

I won't use them with my chins because the pigs DID smell and I don't really like the idea of cleaning poos off the liner every day (vacuuming shelves daily is enough). I like pine and it is what I've always used for pigs and chins... and I love the cost. I spend $5 a month on shavings at the very most.

If pine is flying everywhere with the Bass pans, try wood stove pellets (100% wood, no additives) or the wood pellets they sell at Tractor Supply Co. They are heavier and not as easily flung out, but they will cost more than pine.

I use carefresh in Phoenix's cage ..and liners in 'Sid and Palay's cage. They don't smell unless I don't clean them. Phoenix's cage is fresh for 3-5 days ..then I change everything, so it never has a chance to be funky. The girls' liners are changed out every other day... so same thing.. no chance to get funky.

I would like to use Pine, but I'm afraid it will have a negative effect on my other animals that are NOT supposed to be on Pine (or any shavings with phenols), so I don't.

If you have rats or rabbits or ferrets in the same room (or other sensitive animals), then I'd be concerned about using pine, but you can still use aspen. Personally I hate the smell of aspen, but it is safe. I believe they sell the big bags of shredded aspen at Petsmart.

I have Cavies, Mice and a Hamster in the girls' room ..so I do have a legitimate concern, but I don't like the texture of Aspen. It's so rough compared to the light and fluffy feel of Pine shavings.

Phoenix is in our room ..no animals of concern (with the phenols) in there ..so maybe I can put the girls in our room after quarantine, too.

Where do you get safe Pine shavings? Is the huge bag at Petco kiln dried? I asked the GM the other day, but she didn't know... and I haven't had a chance to call corporate yet. My feed store doesn't know if theirs is kild dried either. Gotta love the knowledgeable employees at these places.. :p

Another trick to cut down on smell is to sprinkle a little baking soda over the pine shavings. I do this with my wire bottom cages and it helps a lot!
DO NOT us baking soda if the chins can come in contact with the shavings. It can cause problems.

Where do you get safe Pine shavings? Is the huge bag at Petco kiln dried? I asked the GM the other day, but she didn't know... and I haven't had a chance to call corporate yet. My feed store doesn't know if theirs is kild dried either. Gotta love the knowledgeable employees at these places.

Most of the bagged shavings at pet places are kiln dried pine, even if it doesn't spell it out on the bag. :)

Thanks, Peggy! :)

Btw, I really do know how to spell "kiln" ..and it's not K I L D :p

Back