Way too placid chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikiH

Hi,

So I recently got a new chin (Charles) to have as a potential cage mate for my single male, I got a larger male of around the same age because he was nice and calm so we thought he might calm our little nutter down (Dworkin is quite hyper). They seemed to want to scrap through the bars of their cages at first but gave up and eventually started sitting and sleeping next to each other (well, as near as possible since they're in separate cages). So me and my partner decided it was time to let them meet each other during a play time session. We got lots of boxes for them to use as hide-holes so they felt comfortable, everything seemed to be fine and we were really enjoying having Charles out for the first time, but Dworkin just got really terrotorial and jumped on Charles' back and started scrapping - which was awful.

Charles is quite a bit bigger (around 50%) than Dworkin, but just wouldn't fight back! If Dworkin came from the front Charles would stand up on his feet and squeak at him, and Dworkin would run off but the minute he jumped on Charles from behind, that was it - Charles would stiffen up like a board. I'm not saying I want them to scrap, but I do want them to get whatever the issue is out of their systems - fairly. Only Charles was visibly affected by the scrapping (he had a few fur slips before my partner could get him and calm him down). We were fine watching them sit up and have a go at each other and snap a bit but the physical fighting was distressing to watch.

Am I just being a wuss? Is this normal? The chinchilla guide I have says not to separate scrapping chins and let them get it out of their system but if Charles isn't defending himself I can't let him sit there and do nothing, I don't want either of my babies hurt. I also want them to bond quickly so don't want to interrupt any of the process they need.

Is it best to be in a completely nuetral room with nuetral toys?

Any help would be great, I really want the pair to bond because I feel like Dworkin has a better quality of life now he has a friend - he seems so much happier in his cage now he can see and smell another chin. He's much more playful.

Thanks guys

p.s. Will post pics of super cute new chin Charles when I can

Mounting is normal, they need to work out who is the boss, so that should just be left for them to work out, but if it's leading to actual fighting then that is bad. Chinchillas can and will fight to the death if you let them. If you could a neutral play area and toys would probably be best since then it wont smell like one or the other. I have had chinchillas that enjoy next door neighbors (cages side by side), they could see, smell, and chat with another chin, but never really wanted to share cages. Over time most enjoyed having a their neighbor(s) out during play time but that's it. Also you said you recently got Charles (too late now but for future reference new chins should be kept separate from ones you already have for 30 days before intros), you might just need to give them more time. I'd take a step back and just let them be in their own cages next to each other for a bit longer and then try the neutral area, you can't really rush bonding. There are several threads on this forum about bonding/introducing chins, you might want to give them a read through if you haven't already, there are several techniques since not all work for all chins. You may end up having to have two cages forever, as I said some chin's are just like that, they don't all want cage mates, but I wouldn't give up just yet.

Dworkin seemed really quite violent when he mounted Charles, he seemed to be scrabbling at him with his paws once he was on his back - is this normal? Should I stop him doing this? If this is normal and they need to work it out to get over it, I'm happy leaving them to it but I hate seeing a chinchilla stressed and Charles is only just calming down, there is still a couple of fur slips coming off him now. I moved Dworkin's cage a little further away so him and Charles can still see and smell each other but Charles may feel a bit safer.

That's doesn't sound like normal pecking order mounting, I wouldn't let him do that, pulling fur can quickly turn into biting. I know it may sound horrible but it may not be mounting at all it could be he is trying to get to Charles' neck to bite and kill him. What I was talking about being normal is only getting to the point of barking at each other at most, not fur slips or anything. They slip their fur when threatened so that the predator, or in this case other chin, only gets a mouth full of fur instead of flesh. If he is getting that worked up and slipping fur then that is not a good sign, you also said he gets all tensed up, that could also be a sign of fear. As I said you're best bet right now is to actual take a step back in the intro process and just let them get use to the idea of another chin there, cages side by side but far enough apart that they can't actually touch each other. It's too late for the recommended 30 day quarantine now but you might want to still just give Charles a full month or so to just settle in on his own in his own cage before trying to start the intros again. The 30 day waiting period before intros has more benefits then just making sure the new chin isn't bring in any illnesses, it also gives you a chance to get to know the new chin (normal behavior, normal amount and size of poop, stuff like that), as well as for the new chin to get settled in to their new home, (new sights, new smells, new sounds, etc.) some chins get settled in fast, others it can take weeks or months. You also have to realize they aren't like most rodents that only live a few years, they can live for +/- 20 years so they have the ability to take their time gaining trust (both with humans and animals and their environment) and developing friendships.

Thanks for the advice - I did consider keeping them in quarantine because I had read about introducing chins (obviously it helps to read but its never going to be 100% helpful because chins are so diverse) but the breeder I went to said to just give it a few days before moving their cages near to each other - he was really experienced so I just trusted that really and I know that was a mistake so I'm going to keep an eye on Charles, he's settling in really well though and has bonded with me and my partner enough to come up and nibble us for chin scratches, which is really cute. He's calmed down so much and I've given him some distance from Dworkin but they can still smell/see each other - the cages are just further apart than at first (they were never touching or in reaching distance.) I think a month sounds like a good time frame, I'm going to still let Charles have playtime so he gets used to me and my partner and gets his bearings and finds his feet a little - I felt so sorry for him. Dworkin's started sitting near him again so hopefully next time we try an intro it will be more successful.

Thanks for all the help, I'll keep posted.

Latest posts

Back