watery eye

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprinceton

Hi,
One of my chinchillas, Belle, has been having slightly wet fur around her eyes. I'm not sure if it's normal or not, but I've been noticing it looks like it pretty much every night. The other night, there was a very small amount of white discharge in one eye that was gone when I went to look again (maybe she blinked it out?)
What could be causing this? How can I fix it?
I'd prefer not to take her to a vet if it's an easy fix, but I will take her if I need to. (On a side note, is there a vet quote for around NH? I've never taken a small animal to the vet and I'd like to know around how much to expect to pay.)

They dusted every night, (I switched it to every other in case that's the problem) since it doesn't seem to bother them. I don't know if this could make her eyes water?
The only thing I have changed from their original owner was aspen shavings, which I have taken out for the time being. I don't know if she could be allergic? But her eyes didn't get watery till weeks after I put the shavings in.

It probably is not the shavings. The dust is a possibility. Try dusting only once or twice a week. that is all they really need and dusting as often as you do can dry out the skin. If less dusting doesn't help or the eyes get worse, the chin will need to see the vet. It could an eye infection, which cannot be treated without the vet, or teeth issues, which you need a vet to diagnose and treat.

It probably is not the shavings. The dust is a possibility. Try dusting only once or twice a week. that is all they really need and dusting as often as you do can dry out the skin. If less dusting doesn't help or the eyes get worse, the chin will need to see the vet. It could an eye infection, which cannot be treated without the vet, or teeth issues, which you need a vet to diagnose and treat.

Okay, thank you!! Glad to hear it probably isn't the shavings, those were a heck of a lot easier to clean. :)
I'll try dusting twice a week... they love it SO much, it's hard for me not to let them haha, but if it makes her eye better it's for the best!

help it was much worse tonight and one of her eyes is half closed ):
I know I should take her to the vet but tomorrow is Sunday and they're all closed. Can this wait until Monday? Is there anything I can do to make it feel better meanwhile?

If waiting til Monday would mean you will see chin vet, I personally would wait til Monday. Meanwhile you can use plain saline eye drops to rinse eyes out/warm compresses for comfort.Good Luck. Make sure you are seeing a vet familiar with chinchillas to rule out infection vs inflammation. Not all vets,even the exotic vets know chinchillas. Save money by going to a chin qualified vet the first time. Let us know how things go!

You might want to do a search on malo and the implications of thereof, and ask the vet for more specifics and have a x-ray done while the chin is put under to see if there is root elongation.

You might want to do a search on malo and the implications of thereof, and ask the vet for more specifics and have a x-ray done while the chin is put under to see if there is root elongation.

We have x-rays planned to be done since Belle will already have to be put under for the tooth float, I don't want to pay for that twice! I'm going to ask the vet about it, too. I give her tons of chews so I want to know what else I can do to prevent this from happening again or to my other chinchilla.

Back