Water bottles/watering system question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastcoastchins

Hi!
So, I keep having major leaking issues with the glass water bottles I'm currently using. It feels like every week a new one decides to start leaking and I have to go buy a replacement. So my question is, first, what are the best water bottles others have found that don't leak...

My other question is about a watering system. I would LOVE to do the watering system instead of individual bottles. However, I don't know if it's ideal because I don't use runs, I use pair/colony cages. Is the watering system still an option with my setup? Or is it mostly ideal for run breeding?

Thanks!!!

Ok let's start with the glass water bottle. When you fill it up do you fill it to the brim? I was having the same problem until I filled it to the max then it stopped dripping. If you do fill it all the way up check the rubber gasket and make sure it is seated right.

As far as a watering system you can use them with any cage setup. Just make sure that the rubber tubing cannot be reached by a chin. I have 6 colony set ups and just ordered an edstrom system. I will let you know how it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I don't always fill it to the brim actually. I'll have to try that. Do let me know how the watering system works for you though please! The one you mentioned is the one I was looking into getting.

Thank you!

I have 5 chins and it seems like once one of their bottles starts leaking another one does. I also have glass water bottles and fill them up all the way and make sure the rubber gasket is on right. I am going to have to replace one tomorrow but I was thinking about trying something different. I am currently using super pet glass bottles, anyone have any luck with any other water bottle?

I've been using Lixit glass bottles for years, I believe I ordered 10 or 12 first go-round and some are still in use in my herd (four or five). Most have been lost to breakage of the actual bottle and not leakage problems, etc.

I was having the same problem with the super pet glass bottles. So was my neighbor who also has chins. Now when I fill them up I the spout just a hair and I have not had a problem with a leak since.Told my neighbor she now has not had any more leaks since she started doing this .. Not sure if it will help but its worth a try.

Now when I fill them up I the spout just a hair and I have not had a problem with a leak since.Told my neighbor she now has not had any more leaks since she started doing this .. Not sure if it will help but its worth a try.

I am having the same problem but with a Kaytee glass bottle and I am trying to figure out how to fix it but this part of your post confused me "Now when I fill them up I the spout just a hair" I am sure it was a typo but what exactly do you do?

I bought a super pet glass bottle at first because it looked like a great choice for a chin.

My bottle wasn't working so I had to return it. It wasn't leaking it just wasn't letting any water out when my chin would lick it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the glass Ryerson bottles for all my runs/other cages. They don't drip very much, if at all, and I like em. I used to use the SuperPet bottles, but I could never get the water to come out, and I don't have time to mess with filling them all to the perfect level... with the ones I use now, fill em and go, and I don't worry about em.

These: http://www.nwichinchillas.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2690363

I was using the Super Pet glass bottles when I first got my chin and they leaked, so I could never be sure if he was drinking or not. I ended up getting two of he valve stem water bottles - I believe they are Lixit brand. My chinchilla took to them pretty quickly, although he really only drinks out of one of them and ignores the other - but it's there in case the first one stops working or something. Anyway, I am very happy with these new water bottles and I will never go back! They are plastic, but they are outside of the cage except for the nozzle, which is not plastic - and he never bothers any of the plastic, so they are perfect for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok let's start with the glass water bottle. When you fill it up do you fill it to the brim? I was having the same problem until I filled it to the max then it stopped dripping. If you do fill it all the way up check the rubber gasket and make sure it is seated right.

As far as a watering system you can use them with any cage setup. Just make sure that the rubber tubing cannot be reached by a chin. I have 6 colony set ups and just ordered an edstrom system. I will let you know how it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hi :) Just wondering if you have an update on how the watering system has been working for you?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back