Water bottles, treats and shelves?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive had Bella for two years now, and Im just beginning to realize how much I DONT know. Since Im adopting chinchilla kit in several weeks (already picked her out, waiting for her to be weaned) I figure I need to know:

1) Are plastic water bottles bad? Some people keep saying that glass would be better. I keep mine on the outside of the cage so she cant chew it and we've never had a problem.

2) Treats! What's safe?

3) Our cage is a four level ferret nation cage with plastic shelves. She's never chewed them, and I clean the cage out once a week, complete with disinfecting the urine spots. Is it still bad to have plastic shelves?

4) Is scented dust bath bad for a chin?

5) I have dogs, and I don't let Bella out with them because my mother's dog wants to chase her. Most of the time, I just take her into my bathroom and let her have run-about time there with me sitting on the floor. Is that okay to just let her have a an hour or so in there?

Any other advice would be great! Especially about kits!

1) Are plastic water bottles bad? Some people keep saying that glass would be better. I keep mine on the outside of the cage so she cant chew it and we've never had a problem.
If she has no access to the plastic, it should be fine.

2) Treats! What's safe?
Rose hips, an occasional cheerio. No fruits, veggies, nuts/seeds, etc

3) Our cage is a four level ferret nation cage with plastic shelves. She's never chewed them, and I clean the cage out once a week, complete with disinfecting the urine spots. Is it still bad to have plastic shelves?
Yes, your chin will eventually chew on them. Are you disinfecting with water and vinegar, or a cleaner?

Probably. You should only use blue cloud dust

5) I have dogs, and I don't let Bella out with them because my mother's dog wants to chase her. Most of the time, I just take her into my bathroom and let her have run-about time there with me sitting on the floor. Is that okay to just let her have a an hour or so in there?
As long as the room is chin-proofed, yes. Also, I hope the dogs aren't around her at any time. That could cause her a lot of stress.

I think browsing the forums would be helpful :)

Glass bottles are easier to clean and can be boiled and don't discolor over ti, the best treat for a chin that lasts is a natural wood stick such as a apple stick. Chins can decide one day after leaving something alone for a long time that its the best thing and chew it up-this is why everything in a chin cage should be chin safe and not be plastic, no scented baths and no other animal interaction. The new kit should not have outside playtime until older, as far as Bella goes a hour is fine and you might want to check out the play pen threads here also.

theres a lot of great information for this site. take some time to look through threads. very helpful.

I used plastic the 1st year I had them. I personally do not see an issue as long as there is nothing they can chew on. My bottle tip is long enough and away from plastic but now I use glass cuz its easier for me to clean and rinse.

2) Treats! What's safe?

I used to feed raisins once every few days. Now ive gone into rose hips, some cookies made by people here, and papaya (rarely like once a week since its sugary). But its different for everyone but i think it really also depends on how much you give and the frequency. Too much sweets isnt good. I also feed rose buds as treats now too.

I used to use plastic shelves and they were never chewed on actually which is amazing since they seem to bite everything else. lol but maybe think about ledges and so on. I eventually gave up on shelves when I had a cage that has plastic seeing how my chinnies actually prefer the challenge of jumping around. =)

This Im not sure, but i wouldn't recommend it. I only use unscented dust bath, blue cloud to be precise. I personally do not like scented and do not feel its safe. Plus my chinnies dont smell generally so its a ok hehehe

I think as long as you give it a reasonable routine of attention, the bathroom is fine. I use it all the time now that ive chin proofed it and I stay in there with them for extra company. lol i love when they snuggle on me =)

good luck!! its a great place to learn. Im still learning myself and ive had my Tum Tum for 2 years now. =)

Back