Water Bottle

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brcarson

Bailey - Chester's Owner
Hi, I am just wondering what kind of/brand glass water bottle people are using for their chinchilla?? The last 2 that I have bought, have begun leaking and I can't seem to fix them. Thanks for any advice or information!

I use a superpet critter canteen bottle. It doesn't leak a bit as its spring loaded and only lets water out when pressure is applied to the tip. It's a plastic bottle but I made a metal guard for it so it can't be reached and chewed.

I've heard Lixit is the best for not leaking. I purchased a Kaytee one (with the duck in it) and it works great. After a couple of months I noticed leaking, but it was due to me not having a bottle brush to clean it (calcium from water can build up and cause issues in the nozzle). After I purchased a brush and gave it a good cleaning, it solved the leak problem. I clean out the bottle every time I do a routine cage clean and have never had it leak again. :))

Fill the bottle completely with very little air space at the top. Put on the cap, turn it spout down and smack it on the side with your hand a couple of times. This will get the air out of the tube and make some water come out forming a vacuum. If you do not do this, the vacuum may not form. It is also harder to form the vacuum if the bottle is only partially filled. Another thing to check is if the washer is in place and does not have any dirt on it or nicks in it.

Back