Water bottle

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are putting it where your chins can't reach, that includes sticking their noses through the bars if the bottle touches them, critter canteens or lixit-not the top fill. If your bottles are at risk of chewing lixit glass bottles. However with any brand you can get a leaky bottle or do things that make it leak more. Filling with cold water is actually bad since the bottles work on a vacuum and as the water changes temp it will leak out until it is the same temp as it's surroundings. Filling them all the way up will create more vacuum than leaving air space. Making sure the rubber washers are damp when you screw on the lid helps. If you have a leaky bottle you might want to replace the washers with thicker ones from the hardware store.

The rubber washers on my 10 year old plastic lixit finally started to leak. I have some critter canteens near that age too that have never leaked. One set of our chins came with glass lixits and the other with a big square plastic lixit on the outside of the cages. I have a glass lixit I bought for degus but after 5 years the ball keeps jamming no matter how much I try to clean it and the animals get no water so I will probably have to throw it away.

Personally I prefer my Living World glass/ metal bottle. I will never buy another 'Superpet' glass bottle though. Not a single one would work no matter how tey are filled, positioned, cleaned, closed etc.
I had lixits ... They got chewed.

They are on sale at Fosters and Smith for less. Not sure how long. $9.29 for the small ones. Larger have prices marked.

Mine is a glass kaytee bottle. Which is leaking I use room temp drinking water

I am returning a glass kaytee bottle very soon because it was alternating between leaking and not letting water out. I ordered a glass lixit bottle online because it got really good reviews so fingers crossed that this works. I will update as well

Back