Water bottle leaked everywhere :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrynight0621

My superpet water bottle with the little yellow floating plastic duck inside leaked somehow. My poor chinchilla Lucy had soaking wet fleece and no water.

How do you think it happened? What can I do to prevent it? Do I have to buy a new bottle?

is it plastic? i had a plastic one that the chin chewed through the cage and it leaked completely, luckily i had one of those cages with the trays on the bottom and fleece over the holes so it didnt harm my chin.

i also have two glass ones, if the one isnt always filled completely to the top it drips constantly and the fleece is always wet. if its new id try to return it.

It's glass, and it's maybe 6 months old.

I haven't noticed it drip that much. I just woke up this morning and the bottle was completely empty, and I just filled it the night before

unscrew the cap, take it off, and check to see that the rubber washer inside isn't all kinked up. i've noticed if i don't screw the cap on just right, the washer kinks all to heck.

If it is the type of water bottle with the ball at the tip, sometimes the balls will get shavings/dust/etc in there and get stuck, this will cause the water bottle to loose its water.

I second the ball getting gunked up. Whenever ours leaks it's because the boys have gotten something stuck in it. It seems to happen about once a month. I put an extra piece of fleece under the liner in the corner that has the water bottle, just in case.

I have the same bottle (actually 3 of them) and it's ALWAYS the same one I have problems with. Usually it is the washer and one time the metal tube they drink from completely fell out! It was a nightmare. I change the water 2x daily now just so I can keep an eye on it and make sure they washer and ball are where they are supposed to be.

I have 4 of the same bottles. When they leak, it is rare and because I didn't do something right. Fill the bottles all the way to the top, use room temperature water, and make sure all the parts are tight. Usually it's just an odd occurrence and it doesn't happen regularly. If it does, there may be a defect with that particular bottle.

I used to use the glass superpet bottles until I found the Edstrom water bottles (which they don't make anymore.) To fix the leakage for the superpet bottle sometimes it would simply take to fill the bottle all the way to the top or like others said, check the ball at the tip and make sure nothing has gotten into it or clogged it.

If you want to try out a bottle with the valve tip and see if that helps the leakage try the one in the link below, although I have to warn you that the bottle is plastic so you will need some type of metal cover between the bottle and cage.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11180183

Latest posts

Back