Wasn't pooping much...took to vet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittneyk13

Daisy🌺
Hey everyone! So my chinchilla Daisy hasn't been pooping as much and they have been smaller then usual. She has been acting fine but to be safe I took her to the vet today. They gave her a shot of Reglan and trimethoprim sulfa susp 0.50 cc twice a day. I also have been giving her gas drops which she loves (thank god)! I just wanted to ask everyone's opinion on the trimethoprim sulfa susp, I trust my vet but I wasn't sure what it was exactly and if I should give it to her. Thanks :)

She pooped a lot over night so I guess that's a good sign...she is also acting completely normal and being her usual crazy self. Is it possible that the reglan and gas drops would have solved the "issue"? I didn't give her the antibiotic though because I didn't think it was necessary. Also Is it normal for them to not poop that much during the day?

TMS is ok to use, but IMO I don't like to treat something that is not diagnosed, if this was a loose poo situation it would be appropriate if the poo was smelly or slimey, a indicator of infection if there were no parasites, but small/no poo means either nothing is going in so its not coming out or what is in can't come out, both not treated with antibiotics. A bit of gas will cause this condition and yes the simethicone used early can treat it.

That's what I thougt too, I was confused as to why he wanted me to give her that when we didn't even know if there was an infection of some sort. He said if things aren't better by Monday we should do an X-ray, would that be a good idea?

Okay now I'm getting worried she pooped once so far today and it's mushier then normal and smells...what should I do?

Like I said, if the poo is loose and there is a odor, it can be a infection-but is it bacterial or parasitic, that makes a difference in treatment, the vet should do a fecal float to check for parasites and a x-ray to check the gut.

Glad your baby is back to normal.

I feel like the most stressful days in my life revolved around waiting for fur babies to go poop!
Haha!

I know right I never thought I would be so concerned about poop before lol. But she is pooping a little more but they still have a weird odor to them. I have an appointment for tomorrow morning at 8 am so I'm hoping it's nothing too serious :/

Back