Washing Fleece

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GizmotheChin

Christine
Hey everyone.

I had a quick question about how everyone washes the fleece for their chins. I've been hand washing Gizmo's fleece with dish soap in the sink and then rinsing until completely clean. Does anyone throw their fleece in the washer with laundry detergent? Is this safe? I use Tide for my laundry.

I used to use Tide w/ bleach on mine, wash twice in the washer and then do an extra rinse cycle. Tumble dry low, no fabric softener.

I'm using a less toxic detergent now, that I get wholesale online. No more worries!

i soak my fleece in a hot bucket with a bit of unscented powder detergent for a day, then i rinse it out and put it in the laundry, sometimes with my towels. the soak takes all the urine and smell out for me, so no worries on it going in on hot with towels. no bleach. then i tumble dry on hot. a lot of my liners are just big pieces of fleece folded over, so i don't worry about shrinking them too much. houses and tube covers and such i dry on medium.

I pre-wash with tide and vinegar. Then I put it on full cycle with a second rinse. Then tumble low in dryer.

So by putting it on a second rinse cycle, it should be safe?

Gizmo isn't peeing on his fleece anymore, it's just dirty from the dust and wood grindings from his toys, so I don't need to do anything with vinegar.

It's funny, because I have a rabbit and that's what everyone suggests to get rabbit urine out, by soaking it with vinegar.

I use Nature's Miracle. I soak the liners, wash them in a small load and then dry them on gentle. It works pretty well. I wouldn't be comfortable using detergent but I know it works for many people!

You can just use a tiny bit of detergent, the key is to do an extra rinse and then no fabric softner/dryer sheets. If your fleece starts to smell even after washing and drying you can try and try it in full sunlight (even through a window will work- but not as good as outside).

This is the same method I washed my kids' cloth diapers with to keep the absorbency and smell in check. I also used fleece with my cavies and it was all good!

Back