Want to make a play area?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maia

Forever Weird
The bf and I are closing on a new home (our first!) soon. It has a massive unfinished basement, and while I don't want to have Sebastian's cage in the basement, I thought it would be nice to somehow close off a corner for a play area.

My first thought was to get a playpen with extra panels and just block off a corner with that, but I remembered some members saying their chins could jump over those. The basement isn't super bright to begin with, so I'd rather not put a cover on top of a playpen. So then I thought, maybe wooden panels with chicken wire, then realized he could climb those in an instant. Maybe some solid pressed plywood (or something similar) panels? I also don't know how we'd anchor anything into the cement wall, my dad might know, he used to do construction but I haven't asked yet.

These were just some thoughts, what do you guys think? I wanted to have a nice cool place for Sebastian to play while not getting our bathroom all dusty!:neener:

I remember seeing something somewhere about using like plexi glass. I dont know...just something in the back of my mind reminds me of it...Ive never done it though.

i used like a plexiglass bifold kind of to keep him in a hallway we used to have.....it worked really well because if you need to go out of the play area for any reason you can still see him but he cant climb up it. it also allows light in for him. he did attempt to chew on the corners though so just make sure its pretty thick and strong.

Our Sebaschin plays in a playpen made of 4 foot by 8 foot cardboard panels. He has yet to jump over the 4 foot walls, by he tries his hardest. We overlap the sheets of cardboard and clip them together with the little chip-clips that you put on potato chip bags after they were opened. We form a small room around his cage for playtime. He is able to wall surf without any problems. He tries to chew sometimes, but we just ask him "what are you doing" and he will give us with the "who me" look and start running around again.

I just checked Home Depot's website and plexiglass panels are way higher than I was hoping to go. I was thinking no more than $100. Sure it'd be the nicest-looking play area, but still.

i honestly have no clue how much they cost because my parents happened to have some laying around their garage for some reason. i know they have cheaper sheets at like hobby lobby that i use to guard against chewing on my dresser but i think those would be way too thin to keep him in.....

Be creative! You don't necessarily have to purchase the materials for it, you could ask friends or family is they have something that would help. Also, you could look in your local dump or so (no, you do not have to become a dump monkey), you're just reusing! Look for things that you think would help. Start collecting ply wood and build a sort of 'fence' with cheap chicken wire? Than if you want to get in or out, just move the corner of it. Use your imagination! Reduce, reuse, recycle!:)

Back