Want To Know About Your Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I met my first chinchilla at a fiber show in October of 2009. It was a pink white male who sat in my arms for about an hour. I had gone to the show for fiber and dreaming about buying alpaca for my dream farm and came home wanting a chinchilla. Not wanting to jump into it we researched and found a breeder a few months later.

Edgar is an ebony boy who was four months old when he came home with us. We had went looking for a standard or mosaic of pet quality and took home one of the breeders growers for the next show season who was our least favorite color. Personality won out because it was love at first sight with Edgar. Edgar is also the opposite of that sweet boy who sat in my arms because it's rare for Edgar to ever be still. We have to watch him every minute he's out because if there is a way to escape and get some where he's not supposed to be Edgar will try to find a way. I'm not sure I've met an animal that will keep trying despite failure the way Edgar will.

After a short time with Edgar we knew we wanted another from the same breeder because of her support with Edgar. Since we were going to show Edgar in October we were going to get Oscar than. We were lucky that our breeder had a mosaic that was returned to her from a pet home. Since he had a good pedigree she took him to a show where he took a Reserve Color Class champion before we bought him. Because she didn't need him in her breeding and we were at the time considering breeding she thought he'd be perfect for us. She was right because again it was love at first sight. Oscar is really a beautiful chin and a great pet. He is one of the only pets I've ever had who loves his cage so much that he is happy with just affection. Now that he's bonded to us he's our most affectionate guy and has just started giving us snuggles if he isn't forced to. Oscar however does not like the other boys so he has his own Ferret Nation cage to himself.

Jackie was purchased at a show in January and is a violet. Jackie is also the only chinchilla we have purchased on impulse. He'd been beat up by a cage mate who damaged his fur and he has a few scars on his ears. His breeders had him out to show someone else and I asked to hold him. The poor guy was so scared that he lost control and I had pee running down my shirt. I took this as a sign that he needed to come home with us and luckily my husband agreed.

Jackie is different that the other guys in that he is so much more submissive and well behaved. We're not sure how much of this is that he is still adapting and discovering his boundaries. He's also very sweet and we think he may get along with Edgar so they can share a cage. If he doesn't we will get a third cage so he can live in peace and not have to worry about being bullied by a cage mate. Jackie will be two next month.

I'd like one more boy who is a standard because I like the color but I think we are at our chinchilla limit at the moment. All of our boys like our attention and being cage it takes time to love each one so we have decided to skip a few shows and not be tempted. We've also decided not to breed despite having three boys who have the pedigrees and history that would allow us to. Kind breeders here and at shows have shown me that I don't want to have to care about the things that are important when breeding. I have to say that I love being able to be just a pet owner and if I ever get another I will continue to get adult males.

Latest posts

Back