Walls on sides of Cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbarile92

Hey guys,

I have a quick question.
I have my cage for Anna-Belle in my room, though the only thing is she is pooping everywhere and it is always coming out of the cage and all over my floor.
Has anyone put anything on the walls of the cage? Even a piece of wood to cover some of the sides so the poop doesn't go everywhere?
Could I use plexi-glass even?

Some people have used wood to extend the sides of the pans and to make backstops on shelves. I would avoid plexiglass though.
Even with the best prevention though, some will escape. Tis a fact of life with a chinchilla.

I bought fleece to put around the bottom few inches of my cage.
But keep in mind if you have ledges high up in your cage poop will still fly out. Chinchillas are just good at throwing poop :)

I put fleece down the entire back, and, depending on cage set up, sides of my cage. It did seem to slow down the amount of poo flung everywhere, though the still had the entire front to fling it out of.

I hung pieces of aluminum on the outside of the cage. it works really well to keep the poop in and easy to clean.

Also, adding ledges to your shelves will make a big difference.

I find that "I" make the most mess when spot cleaning. Sweeping out the higher levels to the bottom and they bounce all over the place:hair::hair:

Attachments

• cageguards.jpg
    cageguards.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 59
  • ledges.jpg
    ledges.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 42
I placed my cages inside of "boxes" to keep their mess somewhat contained. They are sort of like book shelves w/o the top. Also, the sides and back have about 2 inches to not restrict air flow. I haven't had any issues with over heating and have had the setup for over 10 years.

Latest posts

Back