vision impairment due to color mutation?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

So this could go in breeding or anatomy or health-I couldnt pick one so it's here- I was talking with my sister who has pet rats and she ha a female with pink eyes (the look red but I guess its different) and the rat is partially blind. My sister was saying that usually red or pink eyes in rats comes with some level of vision impairment. I've heard of chinchilla mutations with different eye colors (beige obviously, but i think there were two other pink red ones and a weird one that sometimes had no eyes that isnt bred anymore- i cant seem to find where the info was though)
I dont have beiges or anything other than standard/normal seeming eyes. Does anyone know if red eyes effects vision in chins? They are still rodents... but they're also different enough that the mutations may not be that similar.

Typically blindness comes from the animal being albino. Chins with pink eyes are not albino, so I don't believe there would be any vision loss due to eye color.

I have some homo beige chins that tend to squint when the overhead lights are on in the chin room. They stop when they are in their houses or if you turn the bright lights off and leave the smaller bulbs on. This only occurs with one line of my homo beige chins and the homo beige mother of that line does not do it. Anyone have any clues as to why?

Homo beige chins can be more sensitive to light and have some slight depth perception issues. Blindness with red eyes are typically seen in albino animals (which don't exist in chinchillas)

Latest posts

Back