Vet visit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tessa.31

Hello,
Well Im taking Aiden to the vet on friday, just for a regular checkup/annual checkup, so is there anything specifcally that I should ask the vet to look at or any major questions that i should ask besides the basics??
Thanks,
Tessa

Most wellness checks are actually quite boring. The veterinarian may ask for a stool sample to run a fecal on, otherwise, the vet will listen to the hedgehog's heart, look through its quills, look in their mouth (if the hedgehog will allow), etc. Its actually quite boring... unless you have a specific concern you want the veterinarian to address.

If this is your first visit with this vet, its a good time to just talk to the veterinarian to get a feel as to what their experience is. Listen to what he has to say about hedgehog care, ask how often he sees hedgehogs and any other questions about medical treatments you want to ask. Look for misinformation, and for how receptive the veterinarian is to listening to you.

I agree with Kalandra on getting a feel for the vet. Often a vet will push for feeding hedgehog food and are very insistent about it. I've heard of a couple vets that would not treat the hedgehog unless hedgehog food was fed... usually a food that they sell.

Also ask about mite treatment if it became necessary what they would use. If the vet says Ivermectin, ask their feelings on Revolution. Some vets are also adamant about using Ivermectin.

Some vets are very open to suggestions and listening to other views. Some are of the attitude that they know everything and don't want to hear anything else.

Ask them also for back-up vet recommendations (for emergency, after hour stuff particularly). They will know others they consult with that you can go to if for some reason you can't get in with them.

Thanks Everyone for your suggestions! She was one of the vets recomended on this site,she seemed very knowledgable about hedgehogs, she asked me tons of questions about his food, wheel, housing, bedding, heating ect. She listened to his heart and felt his tummy and jaw and mouth for bumps and such, also checked his teeth, weighed him, did a fecal exam, checked his skin and quills, and answered all my questions, i think she did everything she was supposed todo and all her assistants seemed very knowledable too.

Latest posts

Back