Vet Fund

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi Xiao

For chin pet owners, how much would you recommend squirreling away for a vet fund per chinchilla? Would $1000/chin be enough? "Refilling" as it gets used?

If you are going to be breeding than I would call the vet that you plan to use and ask how much an estimate is for a c section and after care. The fund should be at least that much. For pets $1000 sounds like a great amount to have for emergency care.

I have Care Credit with a $1200 limit. That way it's there if I need it, and I don't have to worry about actually putting money in an account.

Yeah, I probably won't be breeding. School, and then work, would not allow me the time to make sure that everyone was well cared for.
The care credit sounds like a good idea though. Is that through a vet?

I second that care credit is a great way to go. Had to use it for my dog when she had pneumonia and a long stay at the emergency vet and I didn't have the $2800. My limit started out lower, but now is up to like $3200? It's gone up as I've used it over the years.

It's awesome to have. If you pay it off within the time limit (which is different depending on amount and other factors) then there's no interest. So, assuming you pay bills on time and consistently make the monthly payment, its like cash.

Love my CareCredit. I originally got it for me, for an eye surgery I never had. Since then I use it for my pets. It's come in handy for the cats, and I have the limit set at $3500 for emergencies. If you pay it off in 6 months, there's no interest.

Back