vestibular disease *** chinchilla HELP*****

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricerice

dear all

hi ... my mai mai suddenly have problem again...
last time was got bloated->>> http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12922

yesterday evening we i back home afterwork, i saw her neck keep at one side un-normal, and i went to vet this morning, she told me mai mai is not that serious, she cannot see any in outer-ear, she guess, maybe inner ear or middle ear problem. and she told me it should be [vestibular disease ], i know it's always happen in rabbit.

my vet said dont have to take ear drops,
antibiotics Trmeth-Sulpha 0.35X2 /day
Metacam 0.04/day
we got urine and blood test for mai mai, result seeing that mai mai kidney mayb have some problem , vet didnt give Baytril to her.

i give her warm bean pillow for sleep
and remove all stairs and broad for jumping,
i put thick cloth around the cage .
i need feed critial care just in case, her poops not very big
she can eat pallets and grass in cage, but seems cannot drink well with bottle

what can i do else

I have a chin who started with what looked like stasis and ended up with severe head tilt and wasn't treated properly at first. With a lot of care he lived but has permanent head tilt and slight balance issues. Please read the following two threads carefully. The first one is when we thought he had stasis and basically tells you what not to do (vet didn't know what he was doing):http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23519

The second one is when he started with the head tilt and balance problems through resolution:http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23591

I hope this helps. Others should be along shortly to offer their help.

If this was my chin and me vet told me that I would find another vet since chins get inner ear infections and I would not assume if was a benign problem that would go away on its own. I would treat the chin aggressively with strong antibiotics and pain meds and not accept the vets diagnosis.

yesterday she got a bit head tilt and slight balance
tonight i feed her critial care, and let her walk , seeems, she can get balance, but head still tilt a bit.
not sure she take enough rest today or really the medicine help

mai mai quite old, 10~11 years old,
and last time she got bloated, and also find out she got soft tisse calcification
we have blood test and urine test before, and also today we made the test again
result show that her kindey have problem so that's why vet not giving her strong antibiotics

one more words,
about her ear, i can really feel different with 2ears, right ear (with problem) is little bit Swollen, can feel it when i touch it.
photo as below link,
https://picasaweb.google.com/105449076284636354626/Jun292011#5623643146013300498

at night now, seems dont want to eat cc
i can just feed 5cc 2hours ago, and now can just feed 1cc

her droppings is still small, not as big as usual

Last edited:
she is really cute! maybe the trimethsulfa antibiotic is not strong enough? perhaps getting some baytril may help speed up the healing. you would need to continue with the critical care since baytril often makes them lose their appetite. maybe if you leave a bowl with the critical care in it mei mei will eat on her own?? since you already dealt with stasis you know what to look for. i hope she starts getting back to normal.

night time give her 2nd medicine
and try to feed her cc, but not very success, dont know she not feeling hungry or she want to sleep , hard to feed her 10cc, after 5cc, she dont even want to eat
then i let her walk for awhile and then feed again
1cc seperate for so many times, because she struggle a lot.
eat ->walk ->eat ->walk .... many times, then finished total 10cc.. use 1 hour...afternoon time i feeded her a bit easy then night time,

i leave bowl of pallets inside, and also grass, so i didnt not left bowl of cc inside the cage

Are the head tilt and balance problem the only symptoms?

My dog had vestibular disease. It looked like she was having a seizure. She shook violently the whole time, she was wobbly when she walked. She couldn't tell where walls were, or where anything was in relation to where she was. Her eyes darted everywhere. She eventually got motion sickness from all the shaking.

Since vestibular disease is caused by so many things, from bacterial infections, parasites, strokes, trauma, nutritional problems, I would still treat it as a bacterial infection, JMO.

UM.. last night and this morning , mai mai can walk better, not walking round and round and her head is not so tilt, seems better, if compare with 1st day.
yes vet told me there maybe cause of bacteria, virus or even unkown cause, maybe also old age,
some of my friends know chinhilla have head tilt even they receoved

for today, just waiting for mai mai poops, day times she sleep alot,
after feeding her cc, she go back and sleep asap.
wait unitl tonight i should see her poops

If this was my chin and me vet told me that I would find another vet since chins get inner ear infections and I would not assume if was a benign problem that would go away on its own. I would treat the chin aggressively with strong antibiotics and pain meds and not accept the vets diagnosis.

Since vestibular disease is caused by so many things, from bacterial infections, parasites, strokes, trauma, nutritional problems, I would still treat it as a bacterial infection, JMO.

I would listen to ticklechin, she knows what she's talking about. Also has she pooped at all today?

Last night finally she got many many poops
day time she wont poops coz she sleep
night time she weak up and she has lots of poops
i can see her better now, can stand up, walk straight,

i understand ticklechin's meaning, coz my vet has told me there maybe other cause of vestibular disease, she is not giving strong antibiotics because the blood test and urine test show mai mai's kidney is not in good status, just because she is old age, and need to take metacam for everyday, metacam may alredy have some damage to her kidney.

also in hk, we cannot find many good vet who can have many experience with chinchilla.

Latest posts

Back