very excited very nervous

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefscott

Hello all, first let me say again that this website, the people, the information has brought much joy, fun, security, some sadness to my world, if you cant tell by my username that I am a chef, so I keep late night hours working on menus etc, playing with my chinchilla gus and reading and typing on this site. But I am soon to be the owner of another male chinchilla in less than 2 weeks when he is ready to leave his mommy and I have to say that I butterflies in my stomach, and I am just nervous cause I want it to work between gus and his new friend and I intend on taking all the precautions necessary when the day comes, first I have researched the ride home from where I pick up the new guy and its roughly 1 hour and 15 minutes, I have a nice carrier/transporter but is there any advice out there to make this ride a little easier on the new little guy? Also He is not coming from a pet store, so do I need to quarintine him in another room for a month first? What do you think will be the best way to do this? Gus has been alone over a year now since we got him, except for one night, but thats another story. Thanks

For the trip itself, I would not worry to much as long as you have a safe small carrier, with fleece in it. You can also add a little hay. And the most important, AC if needed in your area.

Take things slow and relaxed for introductions. Rushing sometimes works but it can also can ruin any chance you could of had to get along.

Quarantine must be done no matter where the animal comes from. This will also give you the opportunity to read up on introductions. In your search for "introductions" you will find several threads on the subject.

You transpire your excitment thru your thread...excited for you!

.Good Luck.!!

Quarantine is not only for medical reasons, its a chill out time for the chin in his new home-this time out allows the owner to watch and make sure the chin is eating and drinking and since most chins stress out when moved to a new home, the chin does not need the extra stress of having to deal with a new friend.

As Dawn pointed out, especially since this is a little guy who will be just weaned, you will definitely want to know that he is eating and drinking well when you bring him home. Keeping him quarantined will be the easiest way to monitor him.

Also, with this chin being so young, you will need to be sure that you have an appropriate cage so he can't escape. The bar spacing will need to be much smaller than with an adult chin.

Congrats on the new addition. :)

Latest posts

Back