Very dry skin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quirkyxkayla

My two newest chins were unfortunately rejected by their mother after her milk dried out. The breeder told me that they had a few patches of hair missing. I've had them for a week now and they are doing fine but they have really, really dry skin. I know I can't use any lotion (obviously)... but is there any other fix to relieve the itching/dryness? I've tried searching the forums but I don't come up with a lot, sorry. Any ideas, help?

Edit: I've also limited their dust baths.

Last edited:
I am not sure about the lotion thing, but I'd maybe give a vet a call and ask? Or possibly bring the chins into a vet?

Dry skin how? Cracked feet? Scaly, pink, raised skin? Dry feet you treat with either vitamin E or bag balm. If it's more than just dry feet it could be bumble foot. If it's scaly skin, in patches, especially around the genital area, eyes, nose, mouth - then that could be fungus.

Now, if it's just flaky skin coming out on top of the fur, then they were probably getting over dusted and by withholding it it should help.

Latest posts

Back