Very concerned, please help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laluvschins

Lately I had taken my chins to the vet because I was concerned their droppings were smaller, or at least one of them. Since then they have been improving in size, one or two still a lil smaller but still dark and oval shaped. My concern lately is I have been seeing some dropping that some appear broken off either at the end or in half. Just wondering if this should be a concern. They both been playful as ever, eating both their pellets and hay. Is this normal to see an occasional dropping broken off?? Thank you.

Very concerned please help cont...

Yes they have been both drinking and eating well. To be honest they act the same way they do when I first brought them home. I let them out last night and I was watching for their droppings and it seem some were fairly large and I could see at the end of the poo where it could be possible where it could break off. Im wondering if its where some are kind of large..like I said I took them to the vet because they were smaller and now some of the poos are fairly big! lol but yes they have had dried papaya because I thought it would help them, but I have recently let up on the papaya. I just dont want something to be in their gut and not be able to pass but couldnt the vet been able to feel that? Or would that even be a sign of something wrong ( a broken off dropping) or something thats normal now and again.? Thank you for your help

Please stop feeding them papaya. Chinchillas should not be given fruit of any kind. It can cause digestive problems. Drying the fruit does nothing but remove the water. The fruit still contains the sugar which is the problem with fruit.

Larger poos are fine and long as they are not sticky, smelly , or able to be smeared.

A vet probably would not be able to feel if the chinchilla has a blockage. They would need to do an x ray to find out if there is one.

My first thought was the same as Dawn's - they're probably just taking a bite and deciding they're not good enough :)) We find a fair number of broken poos in our boys' cages, and I often catch them in the act as well. As long as the consistency of the poo is good, I wouldn't worry.

Back