Vermont Chinchilla Rescue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyWife

I just wanted to inform the forum about a rescue that I learned about via craigslist that is in Vermont. I'm assuming it's a credible source since there is no information on the internet about breeders or rescues in Vermont. I know some people have trouble finding breeders in Vermont so I figured i'd post this. I'm from Vermont myself and only know of one breeder here.

http://burlington.craigslist.org/pet/2602695857.html

I would not assume that any rescue posted on CL is legitimate. Yes, alot are, but this person, while informing people about her rescue is also asking for donations. It sounds like she is just starting up.

There have been people in the past who have started "rescues" to obtain free animals which they have then turned around and started breeding or have sold for profit.

I would only recommend rescues to people from this forum- active members whose ethics and knowledge I would be willing to vouch for.

I am not criticizing nor am I saying that this rescue is not legitimate, I just don't know this person...

Last edited:
Ditto to what Nikki said, but in addition to that - old blankets and towels? These are chins, not puppies.

I agree with what has been said. A legit rescue to me does not post on CL. I also agree that it sounds like this person is just starting and if she does not have the money to provide any supplies herself, then how legit is she and can she provide for proper vet care if needed.

I don't know everyone who rescues, but I try to keep up with those in the New England area and I have never heard of her.

There was one other person who advertised on CL as a 'rescue' in PA and that person turned out to be a real jerk and had many questionable ethics (and I know this from personal experience with them).

She makes no mention of her experience either. I would be very cautious.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to flag her... unless one of you has already done it lol

I agree with what has been said. A legit rescue to me does not post on CL. I also agree that it sounds like this person is just starting and if she does not have the money to provide any supplies herself, then how legit is she and can she provide for proper vet care if needed.

I just wanted to comment here and say that we post our rescues on CL, and we actually get a lot of chins adopted out to people who find us through CL, but would never think to actually search for a chinchilla rescue (we hear a lot of "we didn't even know there was such a thing as a chinchilla rescue."). Like all potential adopters, CL people have to go through the adoption process with reading the chin care info and filling out an adoption form and all, so we do make sure we're not adopting out to some of the CL crazies... but in this area, CL is used to a ridiculous amount, so it makes sense to use it.

If you wish to advertise on CL that is your choice and of course screening is important for any adoption. For me personally, and I know a lot of other people, it usually raises a red flag as CL reputation is not the best for many reasons.

However, the big difference between you and this other woman is that you have a web site that people can go to and read all about you and your business.

All I am suggesting to ArmyWife is to be careful since it appears we know nothing of this new 'rescue'. I have been contacted many times over the years by people wanting to start a chin rescue who have only had a chin for a couple of months and have no clue what they are doing or the expense of actually running a rescue.

Is that the case here? Who knows since there is no info on this person and you would have to contact them directly to find out anything and still not know if they are giving truthful info.

Latest posts

Back