Various Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinypixiexoxo

Izzie Dizzy Minuit Pappy
Once we move into our apartment, my fiance and I want to upgrade Minuit's cage from her Ware 4 level cage that has plastic. We have our eye on the Double Ferret Nation. Is this a good cage? Should we do the Ferret nation as opposed to Critter Nation (what my Hedgehog lives in.)

I bought a hay holder thingie and filled the thing with hay. The previous owners fed her blocks of hay, condensed. I don't see her eating either.... Is fresh loose hay better than blocks? Should I take out the remaining few blocks to encourage her to eat loose hay? I'm willing to clean up after her daily, so that's not an issue.

She does not seem to like it when I attempt to scratch and rub around her ears. Is this because I've had her less than a week and she doesnt trust me? Or are there some chins who don't like it?

I compared her size with the size of my friend's chinchilla... and mine is much larger,and her ears are bigger. Are there various breeds? I fear she is obese. The vet will tell us when we go in June.

Can anyone link me to a good thread on how to operationally condition her to be more social? I'd like to go slow, and reward behaviors and mold it so that she is happy interacting with us. I would also like to avoid giving her too many treats as I already think she might be obese.

I will ask more questions as I think of them.:)

Congratulations on your new buddy, and its great that you are looking to improve her living conditions. The ferret nation double units are fantastic cages and I believe you will be very happy with it. In my opinion they are superior to the critter nation cages in many ways, with the main exception being that they are not viable for kits unless they are modified with hardware cloth. But since kits are unlikely to be an issue here, the ferret nation is a great choice. Take a look at the thread on here for the ferret nation club and you'll get plenty of ideas on how to make use of the available space.

The hay blocks and loose hay are both good choices, and even if you don't witness her eating it, she is likely eating it when you're not looking. I'd just keep providing it because odds are she is munching on it at some time.

Chinchillas are not as lovey and cuddly as we would like them to be. They typically want to do their own thing and would prefer to investigate you rather than allow you to investigate them. It takes time and patience, but once she is settled in and has started to acclimate to her surroundings and her new care givers she is likely to become more curious and brave about climbing on your hands should you stick them in her cage and simply wait for her to come to you. Sometimes you can use a very small piece of a treat for positive reinforcement to help speed the process up some. Remember you can cut up a treat into many, many tiny pieces and she'll love them just as much as she would a whole treat all at once.

Also, chinchillas can vary in size quite a bit. But generally speaking females tend to be bigger than males. If you're curious about it, get a kitchen scale that weighs in grams and you can make regular notes about her weight. Tracking her weight will help with many questions later on in the future.

I use two FN cages myself. They are great cages for grown chins. (Hazardous for babies tho without the right precautions.) I cant think of any other main cage i would rather use.

That being said tho, their are some improvements/replacements that i made on it (that a lot of ppl do.) Two main changes.

One; the FN cage comes with ladders. Chins can hurt themselves on those ladders so its best to take them out. Depending on how you set up your cage, you can replace them with chin safe wooden ledges. They can hop from one to the other to move around. Its much safer, and its something for them to chew on as well.

Two; they come with plastic trays on each floor. Plastic is not good for them to chew or ingest. And my first chin chewed two large wholes in the bottom tray. Each bigger then he was. So i took them out and replaced them with Bass Pans. They are metal trays. They also have a higher lip on them, to help keep things inside the cage. The two downsides to them are cost and the noise.

The cost is a bit high initially. But they should last you for the life of the pets, if not longer. The noise comes from the sound of the metal tray banging against the metal bars of the cage when the chin moves around. That can be overcome by simply placing a sheet of fleece underneath the tray. That will absorb most of the noise.

Those are the two main issues i had with it. But as i said, i still find it a great cage. And i have no plans of changing them.

It takes time and patience, but once she is settled in and has started to acclimate to her surroundings and her new care givers she is likely to become more curious and brave about climbing on your hands should you stick them in her cage and simply wait for her to come to you.

Thank you, your entire reply was very helpful for me.

I quoted this portion because you have inspired a new question I have.

She just came home on Tuesday, so still less than a week ago. In a month, we will be moving back to my apartment (my apartment building got heavily damaged in the April 18 flooding of my area, and we will not be allowed to move back until a month from now, so I've been living in my parent's basement.), and then a few short weeks after being at my apartment, I will move AGAIN into my fiance and my new apartment. So.. for anyone counting, that's 3 big moves, not to mention the expected move from her Ware cage to the DFN cage.

Previous home --> parent's basement --> my apartment --> new apartment --> new cage ALL in a span of 2.5 months.

How can I help her adjust to all the change? Should I wait until she's in her final home, final cage before attempting to modify behavior? How will I know that she's anxious, or overwhelmed with all of the change?

Here is a new question. Please do not jump on me for this...

But is it safe to have a chin running with a pug dog in the same room?

I've had my hedgehog for 3 years, and hamsters for many more, and my pug never batted an eye at them.

But he's been really eager to chase my chinchilla. Almost like how he chases squirrels in the backyard.

I have a friend who had a chinchilla, whose dogs were totally chill around the chinchilla.... until one day when one of the dogs got the idea to chase the chin around and ultimately... well. he killed her by biting the head. It was an instant death. But the lesson I've learned is that no matter how "chill" your dog can be, they could kill a Chin in an instant.

I like to let my Chin out running in the basement, but my pug dog follows me where ever I go. And he's gotten aroused by the chin, and he's even attempted at chasing her until I screamed at the top of my lungs for my pug to stop. He did, luckily, and I had to crate him (which I did not like)

So I guess my main question is, is my pug to be trusted? I think NOT, but .. I duno. I just got this chin, my first chin, and I do not need a tragedy. Any help or advice is welcome. Thank you.

Personally I've never noticed an behavior change when moving from one cage to another cage within the same house. I am sure though that others have seen changes, so that may depend on the individual chinchilla. But as for moving from one home to another 3 times in 2.5 months, it may be a bit stressful, but I doubt it'll be a problem. I wouldn't put off trying to bond with your chin just because you will be moving again shortly. With each move she may be a little scared at first, especially on the first night or two, but she'll get used to it soon enough and will adjust to the new surroundings.

Thank you.

Wow, play time went wildly well tonight. She played on the stairs with a closed door at the top. So normally I'd corner and catch her here. But I decided not to let her think this is a bad place to play due to being caught. So she played and I stayed at the bottom of the stairs, and she went by me quite a few times. Then, she started to stop near me, and investigate. I offered a hand, she sniffed and nibbled some finger nails.. it was great. I stayed still and let her do her thing. She's really trusting me now. She loves the stairs... and now she's on her cooling plate after all of the non-scary play. So glad the new place (with the fiance, the final move) is an apartment with a second floor for her. I can tell she loves stairs :)

She likes stairs, but she won't jump onto the couch. Is there a max height they are willing to attempt?

Anyhoo, I'm amazed at how well she's progressed in a single night. She's had about 4 hours of constant play. So I'm betting she's beat from it. And rightly so.. so am I :)

I LOVE these things. Don't get me wrong- I love my dwarf hamsters, and I love my hedgehog. But this chinchilla... she's .. just amazing. I'm so happy right now.

Those are the two main issues i had with it. But as i said, i still find it a great cage. And i have no plans of changing them.

I'm sorry I did not see your reply. I will def. take your recommendations for modifications. I have the money to do it right, so there is no reason NOT to. Thank you for letting me know.

I will take her out at least an hour each night in an apartment with ample space and a second floor. She will have access to the stairs and basically everything that in "chin" and "hhog" proofed. .... DOES SHE NEED A WHEEL in her DFN cage?

It looks like you pretty much answered your own question about your pug--if he's chasing her, at best he could terrify her and at worst he could kill her. I wouldn't risk any dog at all around my chin, never mind one who chases her.

I'm glad she's adjusting so well! She could certainly manage the jump onto your couch, but personally I wouldn't let her up there because if she has to go to the bathroom she won't control herself.

As for a wheel, she doesn't need one. She might love one, but she doesn't NEED it. Some chins have them, some don't. If you get one, it should be at least 15" in Diameter. They can be pricy, but check the classified section on here.

I would never allow any pet near my chins. It only takes one accident for something to go very very wrong. - And as a prey animal, my chins are not to fond of other animals being near them anyway.

DOES SHE NEED A WHEEL in her DFN cage?

Maybe not NEED, but i personally recommend them. Gives them something to do, and a source of exercise. Especially if one day shes not able to come out or something.

There are a few different kinds ppl use. I've only ever used this. A metal flying saucer. They don't have the 'large' listed any more, but if you email them, theres a decent chance they will still make it. (They did for me :) )
Much like the metal trays, the metal wheels are expensive. But they will last forever. And if something does go wrong theres a 95% chance its just a baring that needs replaced. (Which is easy to do, and costs about ~$2)

There are some other types that some ppl use on here. I'm sure they can chime in with there type as well.

It looks like you pretty much answered your own question about your pug--if he's chasing her, at best he could terrify her and at worst he could kill her. I wouldn't risk any dog at all around my chin, never mind one who chases her.

I'm glad she's adjusting so well! She could certainly manage the jump onto your couch, but personally I wouldn't let her up there because if she has to go to the bathroom she won't control herself.

As for a wheel, she doesn't need one. She might love one, but she doesn't NEED it. Some chins have them, some don't. If you get one, it should be at least 15" in Diameter. They can be pricy, but check the classified section on here.

Yup It seems I did. I guess I didn't really have a question so much as wanting to know if my thinking was correct about the dog. Its crazy, hes such a sweet dog but I bet he'd get her if he had the chance. So.. No chance for him.

I find it funny because after I asked if she could jump onto the couch, I inadvertently taught her how to get up there, and then she proceeded to climb up and down the couches the rest of the evening :clap1: Well done. So out with the mini vac to gather the poops.

I'm not sure if a wheel will fit in her cage properly and give her the room to jump about (the cage is way too small anyway), so I'll go without. I'll see how it goes in the new apartment and the new cage, and go from there. If I look into a wheel, I'll keep the 15 inches diameter in mind. Thank you.

Be careful letting your chin play on the stairs. There was a recent post about someone's chin tumbling down the stairs and slamming into a wall. How old is your chin? Wheels can be bad for chins that aren't 6 months or older because they'll burn to many calories at a young age. Sounds like she's older though if you think she's overweight. I have a Leo Braun style wheel that my girls love. I would suggest the ferret nation over the critter nation. I bought a critter nation, got the metal pans from bassequipment.com, and made lots of wooden shelves to replace the plastic ones. It was fine when they were babies but as they've grown and gotten heavier the vertical bars on the critter nation are breaking from them springing off their boards. I will be purchasing a ferret nation soon to replace my current cage.

Be careful letting your chin play on the stairs. There was a recent post about someone's chin tumbling down the stairs and slamming into a wall. How old is your chin? Wheels can be bad for chins that aren't 6 months or older because they'll burn to many calories at a young age. Sounds like she's older though if you think she's overweight. I have a Leo Braun style wheel that my girls love. I would suggest the ferret nation over the critter nation. I bought a critter nation, got the metal pans from bassequipment.com, and made lots of wooden shelves to replace the plastic ones. It was fine when they were babies but as they've grown and gotten heavier the vertical bars on the critter nation are breaking from them springing off their boards. I will be purchasing a ferret nation soon to replace my current cage.

Thank you. I found the post. Minuit is 2 they said (previous owners) so .. I'm not sure what that means exactly. But now that she's getting used to coming out, she's running super super super fast. I will have to ensure she is safe on the stairs. She does take them one by one, going down quite gingerly. But if she gets startled or excited, she might go too fast and tumble as that chin did. Thank you for the heads up.

Okay. I will get DFN instead of DCN.

Latest posts

Back