Vaginal Discharge...?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sendra

Chin-zilla!
Tribble just had this strange discharge from her vagina [At least I believe, it could be the anus, but I'm pretty sure it's the former], it was completely clear with the consistency of runny mucus and there was well enough to leave a trail across my arm and to soak the fur around her private areas. I know for a fact she isn't pregnant and has never been, she's been an only chinchilla for years. Is this something I should worry about? It's never happened before.

Edit: It was odorless, by the way.

Last edited:
I posted a thread about the SAME problem I was having with one of my chinchillas.
You describe the vaginal discharge the EXACT SAME as what mine had.
That thread was removed because of the fuss it was causing so that doesnt help you much. I dont know what to tell you...The breeder I bought it from came and got her from me along with the others and took them to the vet, she had an infection. BUT I also read it could be her ovulating (just as human females do). I hope you have better luck on this subject than I did with the others on here.

That thread was removed because of the fuss it was causing so that doesnt help you much.

The thread wasn't removed. It was locked. It is still accessible, it just can't be posted in any longer.

Sendra, how is her appetite and activity level? I don't have any experience with female chins and pyometra, I just know that it can be pretty serious. Though I'll leave the guessing to those with more experience with it.

If the discharge is clear, doesn't smell bad, and does not last longer than a day or two I would think she is just in estrus. However, if it is white or yellow, has any odor or is excessive, she needs to go to a vet immediately.

It sounds like she is just going through her estrus cycle. Watch for odor, decrease in appetite, more discharge than what you are seeing, and how long it lasts. Like Monika said, if it goes longer than a couple of days you should get it checked out just to be safe.

I just had one of my females do the same thing on Monday. I took her out to weigh her and she had it all over her genitals and got some on me and the scale. I cleaned her up and kept an eye on her. The discharge disappeared the same day and she is doing just fine.

Back