Vacation?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraighenry

Hi all!

I'm planning a couple vacations next year and was wondering what others did? We have a few pet sitters we can call!

Kind of wondering what others do. :)

People will have friends or family stop by once or twice a day, or they board the chins at rescues or breeders, worse case the vet.

Wed have a friend stop by as our family is a few states away.
Though, with so many animals, we don't do vacations.
We've been wanting to rent an RV to bring everyone.

Depending on the length of the vacation and my finances, I have invested in a QC travel cage that sets up really easily and is big enough for 2 chins to hang out in for several days. You won't be putting a wheel in there, but they have enough room to not be cramped. It folds down into itself and only takes up about 18"x24"x3".

When we go on vacations my mom comes over 1-2 times a day. The longest we've been gone is a whole week. She does not clean cages nor give the chins playtime. It's strictly only to check on the chins and for food, water & hay. There is a small list that I leave for her in case of an emergency if she can't get a hold of me, as this happened once when we went to Mexico. I have also left her a few names and phone numbers of some knowledgeable forum members here for "just in case" purposes.

I don't take vacations but if and when my husband and I ever go away for longer than a weekend, I would ask either my father or a local chin-loving friend who is also a member of this forum ( ;) ) to stop by and care for them. They're about the only two people I would trust!

I do board chins for customers if ever needed - I've only done it once but I think it eased her mind to know they were in good hands.

How long is your vacation? If it's just a weekend, they'll probably be fine as long as they have plenty of food, hay, toys, and a backup water bottle. Longer than two nights, I always have someone come by the house and check on them at least once a day and give more food/water.

People always ask me if their pet sitters should let the chins out for playtime, and my answer to that is definitely not. Your chins won't suffer from an extended period of time without playtime, and I don't trust anyone who doesn't own MY chins (not just chins in general even) to be able to supervise them properly.

How long would it be before the poo completley takes over the cage? I usually do a poo sweep around three times a day and there is still always loads and loads of the stuff.

I´m dreading my next vacation a little, I´ll be gone for over a month mid next year and have to leave the chins at home with my bf, he is fine to watch them during playtime but has never actually done anything else for them other than give them sticks and treats and I´m really fanatical about the state of their cage, so fingers crossed he can maintain it!

What is a vacation?

I am the chin sitter. I have a pair of boys that I chin sit regularly, I go to their house and I let them out for playtime. I wouldn't recommend everyone be allowed to let out your chins though, this is the environment that they normally have playtime in and they are very well behaved and go back to their cage easily. Also, I know what I'm doing when it comes to chins. So they get the benefit of keeping as close to their normal routine as possible.

I am also the official Handbag chin sitter. Baggy comes and stays at my house.

i'm glad someone asked this question.
cause my husband and i plan on going back to WI to visit our family and friends a couple times next year.
and it'll be a week each time we go.
and we don't know of anyone down here that could take the responsibility of watching our chinnie.

I am going to ask a neighbor kid to do my animals soon. I chin sit for this couple maybe once or twice a year for a week at a time. My only recommendation for this couple is to bring the water bottles and shields. We use the same feed. I provide everything else. Their chins gets their baths when mine does twice a week. They also get shredded wheats, sticks, combed out before they go back home.

We travel to MA once or twice a year and are away for about a week. We pack up everyone and take them with. This year we had a FF and some wood shelves shipped to the in-laws and won't have to lug a cage but we will be taking water bottles, favorite toys, travel wheels, food, playpen, and chews. The travel wheels get to stay there this time when we pack to come home. I don't think I could enjoy a vacation if I left my chins at home.

I do have a house sitter for the flock we leave behind. My dad comes in every other day to make sure my budgies have food and water.

Latest posts

Back