vacation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going on vacation at the end of August and have a friend who has been around my chin frequently for the past year and a half I had him and is reading my chin books watching him when I go out of town for a week. Last year my sister didnt go and stayed home with him but this time he will be going to my friends house. Will this be to much stress on him? I looked into boarding but am afraid to leave him with a complete stranger and if the area he will be in will be properly tempature controlled because the only place that boards chins around my house is our vet for our dogs not my chins vet and am worried that they will not properly take care of him and if he will get the attention that he needs with all the other animals that they have in their care.

First off most information you read in mass market chin books is wrong. So instead of having your friend read those, have her come here and read and get correct information.

Second, there's no way to tell how much it will bother him until you do it. Some chins would do just fine with it, others may go off their feed, etc. Is there no way that your friend could come to your house once a day instead?

If you are comfortable with the techs in the vet's office you bring your chin, sometimes the techs will pet-sit for clients if the actual hospital doesn't board them. Depending on where you live and what they are comfortable with, they could either keep the chin at their house or go visit your place. Just another thought, if you think the people at your vet's office are chin knowledgeable.

She lives about 45 minutes away I think that I'll just offer her a little more money to just drive out to my house. It really would be more a peace of mind to know that he is in a safe enviornment. Thank you for the advice

Also, I'd suggest making out a care sheet for her to read. Is there anybody closer who could drop in once a day? Two-way 45 minute drives every day seems a bit draining

Back