Using the Freezer for cooling plates?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinypixiexoxo

Izzie Dizzy Minuit Pappy
I'm worried that I've gone and done a dumb thing, I put the extra cooling plate I have for Minuit in the freezer. Luckily, the AC has worked, until today..... The thing is very cold, but there is a layer of ice on it. If I offer it to Minuit, could she get wet?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm not sure if putting things in the freezer is even recommended for chins.:facepalm:

I put my granite pieces in the freezer for after play time when it's warmer out. I've noticed that if I take the pieces out and immediately put them in the cage that a layer of water will form on the top of the granite after a bit. I've started taking the pieces out around 15 min befor I'm going to put them in the cage so the water will form and I can just wipe it off before I put it in the cage.

Just to add, I think those slabs in the refrigerator would be fine considering it should get pretty cold...and not sure chins need ice cold to cool down.

My wife made fleece socks and we put soda bottles of frozen water in them, the chins don't chew the fleece and the chins just snuggle up to them to help keep cool, that and granite slabs along with a/c and the chins keep cool.

I usually wrap the slabs in a layer of fleece after I take them out of the freezer.

I have heard about putting ice in a stainless steel bowl and covering it so they don't dump it everywhere. However I like the idea of making their water super cold so it chills em as well as putting the chin-chiller in the freezer for a bit. they'd probably like the little wetness on their toes!

I always put my marble slabs in the freezer. That layer of ice you were talking about, that's my chins' absolute favourite part! They like to lick up the little bit of frost and they absolutely love love love rolling in it! As Tabitha said, that tiny bit of water won't kill them :) If that happened to my boys, it would be from joy!

You're welcome. Remember though, every chin is different. Just because mine think they're Eskimos doesn't mean yours will :)

Back