Urine Staining

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchillaLoves

Dottie & Lolah's Mommy!
One of my girls likes to sit when she pee's and since the pee doesnt soak threw the cage liner very fast, and kinda sets there until it does, her botto will sit in it making her pretty white fur stained in bright yellow pee :(

I have been leaving it alone but tonight when I had them out she just stunk so bad I had to do something so I got the corner of a towl wet and scrubbed her bottom. It got most of the stain off but left her fur clumped together, wet, and still somewhat stained.

Is there another way to get rid of pee stains? or is this how its done?

have you tried giving her a litter pan with pine or aspen shavings in it? the shavings will soak up the pee a lot faster than fleece. a small pyrex baking dish would work well for a litter pan. i use a low sided metal mixing bowl for Rhino and it's perfect for him. his lower belly stays nice and white.

I was going to suggest the unscented baby wipe. Also could mix a little water & hyrdrogen peroxide and wipe to remove the staining.

As for the issue of the fleece, I would also recommend a litter pan. The pyrex ones are nice. A little costly when you have more than 1 chin and use more than one litter pan in some cages. I would need about 12 of them! I currently use little metal pans that I get from the dollar store. they are square cake pans. I have also used the rectangular brownie pans. they are not as heavy as the glass ones, so they can be moved once in a while. when they get nasty I toss them. the chins that use the litter pans exclusively can go a bit longer in between fleece changings as well.
to get them started using them you may want to soak a little bit of the shavings in the urine and place in the pan so they understand it is litter and not a little wood chip snack bowl!

I think you should try getting a pyrex rectangular shaped glass dish, putting shavings in the corner she likes to pee, and hope she pees in there. shavings are much more absorbant, and i dont think shell want to sit her butt down on them...so it might be the best solution.

Clean the stained area with a baby wipe and then dry it thoroughly. After drying give her a dust baths . Mix some cornstarch in with the dust. It helps a lot to whiten the fur.

I use a small pet spray, and wipe over with some kitchen tissue to dry. My chinchillas do tend to stain but i never noticed until i changed all my shelves to wood and started using fleece.

Back