Urinary Tract Infection

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellaBella

Let me OUT
Bella has one. Last night she was out for playtime and kept cleaning herself repeatedly. I caught her so I could check her out to see if I could find a problem externally, but she looked fine? No redness, no swelling. She was MAD. She doesn't like being held, so she grumbled at me and made a motion to spray... only I didn't get wet. THEN I was worried, because Bella doesn't hold back or threaten to spray, she just does it. Immediately my mind went to kidney stones. She also refused to get back in her cage. I knew this was her way to tell me she didn't feel good, but I already knew that so boy was I frustrated! Poor Kiwi only had a 10 minute playtime it took me so long to get Bella back in her home.

So off to the vet we went today, and I'm happy to report she tinkled a bit in her carrier on the way there, and she was such a good girl at the Dr. office, and even let me hold her without much struggle. The good Dr. did not think she had anything as serious as stones, and felt it was just a uti, so Bella is on 0.1ml baytril (tooti frooti flavor! YUM) twice a day. He also took a stool sample as her poops were a little smooshy last night too.

Bella likes the baytril, and was eating hay earlier, so hopefully I won't have to break out the critical care.

I'm glad to hear you got the problem under control. Get well soon Bella!

That's good Bella's just got a UTI. But, I'm just curious (and not to sound like a pessimist or a bad person... I'm just paranoid so I want to learn what to watch for just in case something ever happened to Sesame...) to know for future reference, how do you distinguish from a UTI and hidden pyometra?

Last edited:
That I can't answer. I'm guessing the symptom that lead me to think uti was the inability to urinate? Does pyometra interfere with that too? Pyometra crossed my mind initially, until she seemed to be having trouble. :err: I hope it's just a uti.

Latest posts

Back