URI recovery & options

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishellyshel

Chin Slave
Jack was diagnosed on Friday with a URI & also had his teeth filed. He is oin baytril, meta am, cisapride, gas drops, life line and I am trying to handfeed him. The reason I say trying is because he keeps gagging, almost choking while I'm feeding him. It's takes me over 30 minutes just to get a 10ml syringe in him.
I never had a chin with a URI and I was wondering if there is a "typical" recovery time. I don't think he's doing better. I am starting to get nervous. Is there anything else I can do for him? Any different meds or do I need to wait it out. Or what are signs that i need to take him back to the vet. I am getting some poop out of home, which I wasn't for several days, but he is not eating much, keeps gagging on both meds & syringe feed. He is not at the point of lethargy but I don't like the way he is breathing. I feel like I took 2 steps forward yesterday with feeding & his poop output but today I feel like he is taking a step back. Is this indicative of a URI?

I don't know why I didn't read that he had his teeth filed the same day he was diagnosed with a URI. Poor baby. :( My vet didn't even want to do X-rays when CJ was diagnosed with a URI. Was this the first time Jack was ever filed? It took a long time for CJ to recover from his first filing but that was because he had his incisors trimmed and filed as well as his molars. It took CJ almost 2 weeks to recover from his URI. Yes, it got a bit scary at one point and he looked real bad before he got better. I had to syringe feed everything including water. The most CC I would get in him at one time was about 10-15 ml's. I just had to feed him more often and the cc had to be really watered down. I think what also helped was getting him into a steam-filled bathroom. How much weight has he lost?

I have never had any luck with baytril and URIs, the resistance problem with baytril shines through in URIs and chins, I use chloramphenicol, its less widely used and effective, its also a big guns antibiotic. As far as feeding them, I have nebulized chins prior to feeding to make it easier to eat. URIs are a tough long drawn out battle, it can take weeks but it does often end badly, so not to be a Debbie downer, in the case of URIs and dental chins its hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

this is the first time jack has ever even been to the vet. well at least in my care. he did the filing because his one tooth was growing into the cheek area and was about to abcess. luckily it is on the opposite side of where i put the syringe.
ok, so this could take some time. i never dealt with this so its unfamiliar territory.

Sandy that is all i can get into him is 10 ml and even that takes half hour. i put a few drops in and he keeps choking or gagging or maybe its a cough?? he doesnt do it any other time except during meds & feeding. i guess its time to get up early and do a morning feeding to add to the afternoon and evening .

he hasnt really lost all that much weight. but i will reweigh him tonight.
so how do you nebulize a chin?? is that the same as a steamy bathroom or is there an actual device?? and if i am putting him in the steamy bathroom with me, how long?? i dont want him (or prego me) to overheat! if i dont see improvement by early next week, i could ask for the chloramphenicol. thanks. he is super good at hiding his illness. honestly if you didnt know the cute little guy, you wouldnt know he was even sick.

of course i adore my Richie but i have to say, Jack is my 2nd favorite chin. he is just a sweet boy and it kills me to see him like this. i hope he pulls thru this.

I rented a nebulizer, the vet usually had them but they were all loaned out. The vet RXed the recipe of saline, gentamicin, mucomyst and aminophyine, I would do it for 10 min twice a day with the gentamicin and twice a day without.

As Dawn mentioned the nebulizer is THE way to go and so much better on the chin and yourself. The only reason I did the bathroom steam was because it was an emergency and I had no other option but I only stayed in with him for 10 minutes at a time and I made sure to wrap him in a towel afterwards because of the difference in the temps outside of the bathroom. Good luck with Jack, I truly hope he gets better soon.

ETA: A nebulizer is a medical device that converts liquid medication to a mist that can be inhaled. I would suggest the mask for a chin.

Read more: Can I Rent a Nebulizer? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5447734_can-rent-nebulizer.html#ixzz272QZGjG1

Last edited:
Back