URGENT!!!! Sunny's having loads of serious health issues and I don't know what to do!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the bladder stone doing that to him?! I gave him gas drops a few hours ago so they should've started working by now, the pain killers twice a day as the vet said to, but he's acting like every move hurts him! He squeaks if i jostle him on my lap. He sat on my daughter's lap earlier while I changed the dust in his bath and he was doing little squeaks every second-the dust gets nasty fast cause of the meds that drip on him and the pee thats all over his lower belly area. He barely even takes a bath. I actually had to rub him down with his dust because he kept trying to get back to my lap. And his eyes are always shut. He only opens them 1/2 way and only for a few seconds. Nothing has come back out-no red tissue down there like I was told to watch out for. And he's done 3 poops since the enema at 2 this afternoon, which I'm happy about, but not at all about his energy level. I could never hold him for more than a minute at a time without him fighting to get away and run around again, but today I held him for over an hour and I put him back in his cage-he didn't want to go back in, just sit on me.

He sounds like a sick, uncomfortable chin to me. Bladder stones are very painful and on top of having the bladder he's trying to recover from a rectal prolapse which is a huge issue in itself. Keep doing what your doing, give the 1cc of simethicone at least once more a day. I'm not sure that I would change the pain dosage much as you really don't want to hide his problems. If he's doped up on pain meds and starts jumping around, he very well could cause further damage that is being prevented by his pain right now.

I'll start giving the gas drops 3 times a day then. And he may be going back to the vet tomorrow if more poop doesn't come outt of him, so I can always just mention the pain meds to see what she thinks-a tiny bit more I doubt would do much more good-not enough for him to be running around, but maybe enough where he'd be able to take his bath and jump a little better. Every movement seems tto hurt him, so while I slept, he didn't nibble at any hay or food-hay he had eaten a tiny bit of the past few days, and again, he had taken nibbles of his food, but now he does neither, and I don't think he's drank at all-only want I'm forcing in him.

I am actually wondering now, for whoever read about King and his prolapse, he was a wild man soon after and it came back out again-maybe that's why it did come back out, and Sunny's isn't because he isn't jumping around?! I haven't seen any red down there since he came home-no tissue coming back out from either spot! I would not be able to push it back in myself like some of you did! You definitely get points for that!!!! But how long should I worry about a re-prolapse? How long untill we're in the clear for at least that much?

I'll also use one of my daughter's baby wipes on him (non scented-she has sensitive skin like her mommy). It's just ALWAYS wet there. At least the front of him dries up quick after I feed him, but the pee never stops. I rubbed his dust bath there. but I doubt that does much good for the pee on his skin.

I am now feeding him a little more each feeding and the feedings are closer together. Regardless of his poop, I think I want to take him back to the vet tomorrow. Hopefully they can get that stone out soon. I don't want to lose him! I've always just lloved him like crazy, but all this made me realize just how seriously attached I am to him. And my daughter isn't even 4 yet. She adores Sunny and would be seriously broken up if we lost him. I really hope all this works and we get him back to the nut he normally is!

Thank you again for all the help.

You'll have to worry about him re-prolapsing until he is 100% better which can take a few months. Keep an eye on him regularly.

Honestly, I don't think he should be jumping around or taking a dust bath. If he doesn't feel like doing those things, then he shouldn't be doing them. Take it very very slowly with him. If he's messy, he's messy...it happens when a chin is sick. Use the baby wipes for now to keep him clean and don't try to dust him. My concern with him rolling or jumping when it's obviously causing him pain is that he could possibly rupture, tear or twist something internally. If he does that, the chances of recovery would be slim to none.

Is his penis still out? If it is I would not worry about dust baths right now. That will make his penis dry out and be more sensitive. You don't want him bouncing/rolling around right now. The dribbling urine is from the bladder stone. I had a chin years ago with a stone and he would whimper when trying to pee. He would also try to pee very often but only do a drop or two or nothing at all. You want him to still be peeing. If he stops, that is a very bad sign and with the bladder stone he can suffer kidney failure.

I would not expect him to move around much at all and actually, I would be limiting him from a lot of activity. Between the prolaspe, the hair ring and the bladder stone this chin is in a lot of pain and discomfort. That is why he wants to be held by you so much.

If you bring him back to the vet, make sure he get sub-q fluids again. Ask her if she has a time line to try to do the surgery for the stone.

You can give simethicone .50ml every 4-6 hours or the 1.00ml less often if that works better for your schedule.

Sorry for the bad advice. I guess I do agree with everyone about the pain meds after the argument's been made but you would know better than any of us and your vet can always talk to you about it.

I would go back to the vet, too or at least ask her when she feels it's safe to do the stone removal surgery.

It's good he's eating more. Let us know how the visit goes, hopefully it can be a good visit and give you a reason to relax a bit.

He's worse!

I called the vet this afternoon and have an appointment first thing in the morning. But after my first call to her, he's lost even more energy, and I swear I can feel him losing weight. He hasn't pooped again, I've been stuffing him with food, but he feels even bonier. And when he tried just once to get away from the food, he just rolled off my lap onto his side and did not move again. I don't even have to wrap him in a blanket anymore! He just sits there and lets me feed him and give him meds with absolutely no struggle what so ever. And 1/2 way through this last feeding 20 minutes ago, He didn't even look like he was swallowing anymore. I gently laid my finger on his throat after giving him the gas drops, which he does actually like, and I didn't feel his throat move at all. 1/2 the cc of crritical care and the 1 cc of gas drops went this way-Most just spilled out his mouth.

I called the vet again just now and shee said to come in a few hours eariler with him, whenever I can get there, but I doubt I'll sleep so she's expecting me early. I don't know if the bladder stone has gotten worse, if he's just weak from the weight he's lost, or what, but he's just not well at all!

No his penis is not out. She put that back in when she put his rectum back in. Then used some cream to keep it in. She gave me a paper with instructions and said a dust bath every other day would be good, but I haven't again. It seems to bother him, so I'll wait until after the appointment and talking to her before i rub anymore on him.

I wish I hadn't gone away for those 2 weeks. I would've known something was wrong if I had been there! I know they hide symptoms well, but it seems like I would have noticed something! Definitely the diarehea that I found dried onto his one shelf. I just feel hopeless right now. It's killing me to see him suffer this way and not be able to help him.

I am so sorry for what he is going through right now. A rectal prolaspe is very serious, but so is a bladder stone. The two together is a lot for his body to try to handle.

He will be in my prayers tonight.

Thank you for everything!

You all are seriously amazing people who deserve so much credit for how much you love chinchillas, help people with them, and care for them so much. You give great advice that probably saves a lot of lives, and I've always trusted you all more than anyone else with Sunny. Unfortunately, somewhere between 12:30-1:30 this morning, SUnny passed away in his cage. I went up to check him and maybe force another feeding if he looked at all better since he'd had his pain meds and gas drops, but he was just laying on his fleece. I woke my father because I couldn't bring myself to touch him, plus I was crying too hard to really make sure. My dad listened and felt for his heart and breathing, but there was nothing. I guess it was all just too much for him, or maybe the bladder stone?! I don't know.

Thank you so much for everything you've ever helped with my little guy. He was a seriously fantastic chinchilla and I was lucky to have found this forum.

:flowers5:

Attachments

• 100_8186.jpg
    100_8186.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy.

Sunny was one of the lucky ones who had a caretaker who was willing to do everything humanly possible to help him. RIP little man.

Very sad. You did everything you possibly could.

I'm really sorry that happened, Kristin. I wouldn't beat yourself up about going on vacation. It's one of those things that is out of your control when you need to live your life. Sure, all of us could become riddled with anxiety and never leave the house or ever take our eyes off our chins/kids but that's not practical or healthy for that matter.

On a brighter note--I love the picture.

im so sorry for your loss. i was hoping for a brighter outcome. RIP sunny.
dont beat yourself up you did all you could.

So sorry to read this. I was following Sunny's thread and hoping he would be able to pull through. He was such a handsome guy. RIP Sunny. :(

I'm sorry for your loss. He was certainly a pretty boy. He was lucky to have you.

I'm sorry, I can see from his picture and posts he was loved very much and I know he knew that. RIP Sunny till you both shall meet again.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for him, with how bad he was...I doubt more could have been done for him even if you hadn't gone on vacation. He was a lucky boy to be loved so much.

Back