Upset Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landrk11

This past weekend we moved Lola from our spare bedroom into the den. To say the least she is not very happy about the move. The move was necessary so we could reclaim our bedroom for guests.

She is usually very friendly and is displaying her "I'm mad at you behavior". If you try to pet her she slaps your hand away and turns her back on you.

I figured she would be upset because she does not like change but I am concerned because she is now refusing to eat her hay and her poops are really small.

Is there anything I can do to help her calm down and settle in. It has only been 4 days and she is very slowly coming around but I am concerned that she is eating minimal amounts and her poops are small (a lot of them though).

I have no other pets, no small children, (adult child has moved out), and the house is quiet. We are very calm with her and she is well bonded. The only change was from one room to another.

I know she needs to get used to the new sounds and smells in the new room but welcome any suggestions that may help us help her in the transition.

Thanks.

Hello,

I'm not an expert but I've had my two girls for nearly 2 year now and have moved around a couple times since getting them. I would recommend spending some time sitting by her cage and just talking to her in a soft voice as often as you can. I found my chinchillas adjusted better when I did this! Also when I need to drop them at a friend's place for a few days if I'm going away, I always make sure I put in a few hay huts and other chews I know they love. That usually brings them around to their usual playful selves! Its like they forget they're upset and by the time they've chewed through the new toys they're all adjusted already. They're absolute favourite is a lava rock tied onto the end of a strip of elastic fabric. They spend hours jumping up to grab little pieces of it. Total distraction from their new surroundings!

I'd give her lots and lots of attention. Also, do you keep track of her weight? If not, you should start weighing her to make sure she's not losing weight.
Refusing the hay is not so good... did she ever do this before the move?

Back