Update on my boy's behavior

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maia

Forever Weird
Hey all, it has been a while since I posted about my boy Sebastian, so I thought I would update everyone and get some comments on your thoughts. I popped into chat a while ago and talked to a few people about it, and was told it was probably just his puberty stage.
He's still being difficult to get out of his cage for playtime (in the first few months I had him it was the highlight of his day) and when I do get him out he is very sweet but not so much his hyper, wall-zooming self that he was at first. He's not lethargic by any means though, he just seems to have slowed down a bit.
He kacks more and really likes trying to hump me. Only me, not my bf or any visitors. He sits at the door of his cage, hoping for scritches, but if I open the door, quite often he will run from me.
In short, he's had way less playtimes in the past month or so, because it doesn't seem worth possibly damaging my relationship with him by forcing him out. I even had to get him by the tail base the other day just so I could take him out for a bath. I never had to do that before.

I just want reassurance that he is acting normal for a young (maybe 10 or 11 months old) boy chin and that I'm not doing anything wrong.:hmm:

Edgar is an almost 9 month old male. When we moved him into his huge FN cage in February he did go through a phase where he didn't want to come out but only for a around a week. He loved having a huge cage and didn't need to come out for exercise because he had so much room. Now when he wants to come out of the cage he wants to escape so he can explore any forbidden zone. Edgar never wants to hang out with us during out time because usually he's trying to escape. However I do feel like it's a game for him and we've actually expanded the chin zone for escaping since he has so much fun.

It kind of bothered me that most of the time he was out was spent running away from us. So for the last few weeks I've let him wear himself out and then we have treat time through the bars. I spend from 20 - 30 minutes talking to him and leaning against the cage. At first he didn't know what to make of it but now he is actually hanging out with me for most of the time. Last night was really cool because he was actually going to take a nap with me.

I know that if I open the door to the cage it will again be escape time but at least we are having a quiet bonding time daily. My experience with birds has taught me that in the long run it pays off.

This is just my experience but I thought it might help.

I dont take my chins out for playtime, I set their cages up so they can come in and out on their own, this minimizes stress and makes them like playtime better. I use a small tote at the door so they have something to jump down on and it makes them feel better knowing they can get back to their cage when ever they want.

I am sooo happy Fuzzy mounts his "baby" and not me!! Such is the life of a boy chin.

Why not just dust him at playtime, so he has something to do at playtime? I also dust in the cage, if it is the day before or the day of cleaning too.

Me too Tara, I just pop open the cage door and the boys scoot out immediately. I can hardly unlatch the Grey Boys' cage fast enough b/c when they hear me touch their latch, they go nuts and start pawing at and biting the mesh. I can do this b/c they're contained in a chin room but if I didn't have them in their own room then I would pop up a playpen of some sort and just let them come and go as they please. For two of the cages I have to place a cardboard box on its side so they can get in and out of their cages easily.

That said, I make Buster come onto my hands and do hold him for a bit and pet and smooch him before I let him loose b/c I am trying to tame him and make him less scared of me and this forces him to interact with me. He does go back into his cage by himself though and then he gets his oat supplement/treat. All the boys do.

I don't know much else, but I do know that humping is normal... I have a female who humps too.... o_O

My chinchilla also doesnt come out of her cage for playtime i have left the door open for hours at a time (i was supervising of course be being very quiet and still) but she wont get out even for a dust bath or rosehip. When i take her out myself she only flips around in her dust a couple of times and then sits in a corner and doesnt play. I have given her boxes to play in, apple twigs, and tunnels and shes is still not interested. I dont know what to do, i can see your problem

^^ How long have you had your chin for? The only time I can remember any of my guys not busting out their cages when I open the door was when I first got them and they were very timid. Sometimes I wish my guys wouldn't demand to be set free each night b/c I could sure use the break from having them come out and make a huge mess of the chin room, heh.

Mine are sensitive to noises in the house, and if it's quiet and they can hear every little noise, sometimes they are too chicken to come out for playtime. I solved the problem by leaving the TV on as background noise for them, and that works perfectly. I put the TV in their room on about 1/2 an hour before playtime, and by the time I let them out, they are oblivious to any other noises in the house and totally comfortable coming out of their cages.

i have had my chin for almost 2 years, she is pretty tame bu not interested in me. The background noise is good idea i will try that the next time i take her out. Thank you so much.

Thanks guys! I do want to let him come out on his own for playtime like some of you do, I will when we move later and I have more room. I might try playing music for him next playtime and see if he relaxes a bit.

Back