Update on Misty

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty

Just wanted to let everyone know that Misty is staying at the vet's tonight, to have surgery tomorrow morning to remove her uterus. Took her in for her eyes, and sure didn't expect this. The vet found a nasty vaginal discharge when she examined her, which I hadn't seen before, and thinks that her eyes are actually fine, that she is dehydrated and has dry tears that are making her fur wet. She thinks she is dehydrated and had probably been sick for a while.

Has anyone had anything like this happen before? The vet said this type of thing is uncommon and usually happens after they have given birth, but Petsmart sure didn't say that she had been bred. She suggested I call them and try to get them to pay for some of Misty's vet bills, which will be at least $200-300 dollars at this point.

Ironically I bought her new cage today, so if she makes it through the surgery and recovers okay, she will have a larger cage to move into.

Lesson learned, NEVER buying another pet from a pet store :(

Oh wow, I have never heard of the "dry tears" in chins before but I have heard of pyometra, which is the uterine infection. I don't think it always happens after they give birth..some of the stories I have read sounded like the pyometra came out of the blue. I'm glad you got her into the vet. Crossing fingers that Misty's surgery goes okay....

I know Petsmart has a "14 Day Guarantee" on their animals, so I'm not sure if you'll get much help if it has been much longer than that. Hopefully they help out, though.

If money is an issue, there is something called Care Credit, which is basically like a credit card for the medical bills that you can pay off over time.

Keep us updated!!

Ironically, I have dry eyes also and just started Restasis a few weeks ago. When your eyes don't produce enough tears, they tend to water very easily to try to make up for it. I'd never heard them referred to as "dry tears" before either, but I get the concept.

I'm going to wait and see how it goes tomorrow, before I decide whether or not to call Petsmart. It just seems odd that a chin could get an infection like that out of the blue, when in humans it's usually from giving birth, a medical procedure, or having a lot of sexual partners. I know animals are different, but...I don't know, guess I need more information before doing anything.

This really is an expense that we didn't need right now, but what can you do? I couldn't leave her to suffer, and Dr. Lennox says that she could make a complete recovery. She's also going to check her teeth while she's under, so if she has any dental issues we can make the decision where to go from there. My kids are devasted, my oldest is a girl and she's almost 8, and she cried all the way home and up until she went to bed.

Thanks you so much Stackie for recommending Dr. Lennox. She was very nice and extremely sympathetic, and considerate of our finances.

It is very quiet here tonight, and every time I look at Misty's empty cage I want to sit and cry. I can't believe how fast that little fuzzball got to me, but it sure was hard not to cry with the kids...managed to wait until they went to bed.

Sorry this is so long, just really upset and sad tonight. Thanks again for listening, and for the advice.

No problem. Dr. Lennox is the best vet I have ever been to and Misty is in good hands. She is lucky to have such a good mom, too :))

I have all boys so I have not experienced pyometra first hand, but I have definitely read about it a couple times here on the forum. Searching for "pyometra" on the forum will turn up quite a few. This is from the Merck Veterinary Manual.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834&highlight=pyometra
Pyometra:
Following an episode of metritis or retained placenta, and occasionally observed in unbred females, bacterial infection may lead to pyometra with accumulation of mucopurulent debris within the uterus. Clinically, chinchillas lose weight and have a rough hair coat and a mucopurulent vaginal discharge staining the perivulvar areas. Often, affected females are no longer capable of successful breeding and should be culled. Medical treatment of pyometra is ineffective and ovariohysterectomy is recommended.

I know all to well how you and your kids feel, along with many other people here. We are all here for support and guidance as we know exactly what you are going through. :grouphug:

I will say a prayer for Misty & your family tonight, and she will be in my thoughts tomorrow!

I am so glad you got Misty in right away! Poor little girl. :(

I have daughters, too... I think my eldest would have responded just as yours did. This must be hard on all of you! Sending positive thoughts to Misty and your entire family.

Lots of hugs and whisker kisses from me and my girls! Hoping Misty pulls through, glad she's in the hands of a talented vet! :grouphug:

Thank you all somuch for the prayers and support. Misty is probably in surgery right now, so as soon as I hear anything I will post an update.

Thanks Stackie, for the kind words. :) I have tried to take good care of her in the short time we've had her. I don't always know what I'm doing, but I'm learning a lot and I sure try hard! Hey, I'm a mom... it's in my nature to nurture.

Just talked to the vet, Misty made it through the surgery and is starting to wake up. She's going to call me once she's up and moving around!!

That's great news! I hope she continues to do well :)

That's a good sign, I hope she has an uneventful recovery, and you can get back to being a happy family! :)

I hear she's doing really good!! The vet's office called this afternoon to tell me she was awake but groggy, and gave me the choice whether to bring her home today or leave her overnight. I opted to let her stay with the professionals one more night, since they weren't charging me any extra. That way if she has any complications, they will notice it a lot faster than I would.

We will be picking her up tomorrow morning, and I can't wait to see her!! Apparently this vet does some kind of internal stitches, so there is nothing for her to bite at and her aftercare shouldn't be very complicated. Just keep her quiet for a while and no dust baths. Oh, and oral antibiotics for a week or so.

Think I'll move her to the master bedroom, so the kids don't overwhelm her. I've already lectured them about Misty needing her rest and that no one is allowed to open her cage door to pet her, but I think she might enjoy a little peace and quiet for a few days.

Thanks so much for asking! I was going to post another update after I got her home. Didn't want to become annoying by posting too often!

Latest posts

Back