Update on little Chance:

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

... and the Dynamic Duo!
Some of you may remember that I took in an abused hedgehog last month named Chance. His previous "owners" had allowed him to fall of tables and found great pleasure in getting him high (on drugs). As a result, he's rather... skittish and has a few broken teeth. From what I can see, his 4 front teeth are all broken off. The girl who rescued him drove him to Edmonton from Grande Prairie, and made sure he had a vet check prior to coming here.

He's been living in our living room since he moved in on June 25. He was in a smaller plastic bin that was getting smaller and smaller as he got bigger and braver. I moved him into his larger bachelor pad in the hedgehog room last night, simply because he ran out of room and I figured 2 days premature wouldn't hurt anything.

Let's just say the bigger cage created a cleaner hedgehog. In his small cage, he managed to destroy the entire thing every night. It was just so small that he couldn't really do anything without smearing his mess around. In his larger cage, he didn't have a mess anywhere aside from in his litter box and on his wheel. He had all sort of room to drag toys around, explore and move around. He was very impressed with his tube.

Tonight, the second level is going into the cage to give him even more room. When I pick up some ramps from Sasha (mine went missing in the move), the rest of the hogs will have their second levels as well. With these additions, their cages will go from 6 square feet to just under 9. I'm not sure how they'll handle the tunnel to get up to the second level, so that will be an experiment.

I'll post pictures of everyone and their new digs when I get it finished. It took me a little over an hour to put the hardware mesh on Chance's cage, and it looks pretty awesome. It should work swimmingly to keep little hedgehog heads from getting stuck between the bars, without obscuring anyone's view -- Cuda seems to enjoy looking out of his cage, especially.

I'm so glad little Chance is doing well and has such a wonderful new home and awesome Mommy! I can't wait to see pictures of the trio.

He's such a sweet little guy, so it breaks my heart that someone could think it was okay to abuse him like they did. He's a little scared, but he's trying so hard to learn to trust. He's very willing to let me clip his nails and care for his raggedy ears... he's just not sure how to interpret the kindness. It's like he expects the kindness to just stop and for something bad to happen. When I handle him, he goes through this routine of motions and it's pretty sad to watch because I know how he's feeling. He starts out in a ball, then he uncurls and is calm for a bit. Without fail, he hisses, trembles and snaps back into a ball after about 3 minutes. He stays in that ball for about 30 seconds before his visor starts to lift and he opens one eye to peek around. When he sees that he's still safe and sound, he uncurls fully and then the routine repeats itself. It's so sad to watch, but completely understandable based on what he went through. It's getting better, slowly, as he figures out that I'm not going to hurt him and that he'll never be dropped or frightened on purpose.

One thing that I've noticed is that he has very, very tiny eyes. It's not really important since he seems to see just fine and his eyes are completely clear and healthy... I've just never seen a hedgehog with eyes that small. They're honestly half the size of the other hogs' eyes.

I am glad to hear he is doing well. He is a lucky guy to have found you. His previous owners ought to be beaten severely for their cruelty. :no:

beaten severly you say, If he were in front of me I would deb... him with no mercy and beat him with the bleeding end. Sorry, it just makes me want to do the same with them... hmmm, maybe have him drop off repeatly a 3 story high building would be nice.. just high enough to hurt but not kill...

Anyway, I honestly believe that what goes around comes around wether it be good or bad.

Little Chance will eventually know that he is in heaven with Courtney. Her hedgies have her in the palms of their wee paws. I am sure Chance is already receiving detailed instructions from Cuda and the Queen Diva herself!!!!!!!!! Plus, I would imagine that Miss Hemi is whispering a thing or two in Chance's ear too!!!!!!!!!!

Actually... I think Chance is being a bad influence on the others, especially Kismet. She keeps trying to crawl up things she shouldn't. Just a few days ago, she crawled UP the inside of the table. We have a solid oak table with an inner cut out, and she crawled up inside. Somehow, she managed to pull herself up and off the floor, and half-disappear into the table. It took two of us to get her out.

The cut-away is about 6 inches off the floor, so I'm still wondering how she managed it. I'm positive that Chance was using telepathy to instruct her.

I'm so glad for Chance! It breaks my heart that he is so scared, but he'll learn soon enough that only good things happen at Courtney's house.

As for Kismet... she must have a really big crush on the vet! Kismet, stop being so naughty! :impatient: ;)

I'm glad Chance is doing well. He will soon learn he is safe and that the worst thing that will happen is the dreaded nail trims and that 4 letter word.... BATH!

When we first got Cinder, I thought she had very tiny eyes compared to the others. The difference seemed to be that the others had bulgy eyes and Cinders weren't which made them appear so small.

Aww, I'm so glad that Chance is doing so well! He is so lucky to have found you!

My son found a really old encyclopedia, like from the 1920's and under Hedgehogs it described a "fun game played by tossing live hedgies, like bowling with hedgehogs!" It stated they weren't hurt at all!! Thank God at least we have reached the place where crap like that won't be in encyclopedia's anymore.

Do you have any more pics of Mr. Chance?

Not yet, but my photographer for the wedding agreed to include a photo session with the hedgehogs in as part of our engagement photos. I don't have any photos of me and the hogs (I'm always behind the camera), so I'll have some of those soon.

Omg I almost cried reading that, and I'm at work pretending to work.. Aaaawww i am SO happy that Chance found you. No animal ( or anything) should ever go through things like that. So sad.

Back