Update on Chico

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critterrx

Chico is my 5 & 1/2 year old male with malocclusion and elongation. Here's the link to the thread with his x-rays from July:
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16990

He's been getting worse lately. He's not eating much of his Critical Care/Lifeline/baby food mixture, paws at his mouth a lot, and rubs his mouth on the sides of his cage pans or on his shelves after he eats. He just had a filing a few weeks ago and even then didn't have any bad points. I'm giving him the maximum dose of tramadol I can.

Chico's still sleeping in his usual spots, plays when he's out, and enjoys his dust baths, so I don't think we're quite at the point where I need to make that last vet appointment. I'm afraid we're heading there pretty quickly, though. :(

I am sorry to hear about Chico. I had a malo chin too, it is hard to see them go downhill. Just love him up and enjoy him...

It's hard for me to see these threads at times :(. I feel your pain soo soo badly. I'm sorry to sound like such a downer but it's still so fresh for me. I know you know to love and spoil him and enjoy the time you have left with him.

Thank you. I'm definitely trying to cherish what time we have left. He doesn't like scritches anymore but he will let me hold him, hug him, and kiss the top of his head. That seems to calm him somewhat so he can have all the hugs he wants.

I have a new appreciation for all you moms out there who've been through this. I've read the stories, thought, "how awful," but didn't truly understand until now.

I am going to give you the advice I give to my malo parents, it was given to me and it helped in this time of need.

A good death is one that is quick, painless and it is without fear, and it is necessary. It will bring honor to his life. Death is different for animals, they are not like us, they don't worry about it before hand, they are not afraid of it. For them a good death is just another part of life, the last part. The most important thing is that we try to give them a good life, he had a great life with you.

Back