Unusual chinchillas toys??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah2000

I really enjoy watching the chinchillas play, and have got them some great toys that they love but i wanted to get some others so i can alternate them around so they always have something fun to do. I bought them a lava swing and they love that, they also love their hay tunnel.

Also what weird things have you put in you chinchilla cage that has not been bought in the pet store but is fun for them.

There is lots of stuff you can find on the vendors here, natural material balls (willow, bamboo, palm leaf, etc), willow vine shapes, loofah, hanging chew toys, wooden shapes, bamboo finger traps, popsicle sticks, stuff like that. But if you are wanting more unusual ideas, coffee cans, large glass jars and clay pots make fun hidy houses, 4" or larger pvc pipes make fun tunnels (drinking water grade pvc) and the connector pieces like the T shapes and stuff fit easily in the cage as is. Paper bags filled with hay so they can tear them apart. Boxes can be fun so long as your chins don't eat cardboard only shred it.

I know you requested something not from a store, but my little guy loves the knot nibbler. They make larger ones for chinchillas but I purchased the smaller one for hamsters. Why? Because I discovered if the toy is too big, he looses interest in it. My chinchilla likes picking up his toys and carrying them with him. So going with a slightly smaller version allowed him to do that.

As for non-bought things, taking toilet paper rolls and stuffing it with hay makes a decent toy. It rolls around and gives them something to rip into as they figure out how to get the hay.

Back