Unfinished Wood?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron Sciarri

Ok so at Walmart there's a crafts section that has "unfinished wood" in the crafts section and basically they sell unfinished wood for crafts on numerous online websites but none of them say what the wood is...does anyone here know what this commonly used wood is? and if it's different for different places does anyone know what type of wood the wood in walmart's craft section is?

I usually stay away from any wood that is not identified or marked on the packaging but from my experience so far when shopping in any craft section, if the color of the wood is very light and it feels very light, it's mostly balsa wood which is safe, that is what popsicle sticks are made of. If it looks darkish, kind of pinkish, it's birch, but we don't know what kind of birch, so I just stay away from that. Pine and balsa can look the same but balsa weighs lighter.

yes i'm definitely talking about the light colored woods they don't seem overly light i found something saying that it was "pinewood" but i'm not sure if this means that all this unfinished craft wood that looks like this is pine or kn pine or whatever is safe for the chins or if it's just safe in general

ok i've gotten some replies from some of the craft companies and the Walmart "unfinished wood" is all pine or balsa but one of the crafts people from a different store that replied said some of their stuff is pine and some of it is maple and i heard that maple is toxic for chins so i guess that some unfinished wood is maple so i guess you always have to check and find out or be able to tell the difference between pine and maple...

balsa wood has a tendency to splinter, so i personally would not give it to my chins - too much risk of a balsa sliver going into the gums or lips.

also, you have no idea what chemicals this walmart wood may have come in contact with. for that reason, i would not let my chins chew on it.

its not safe to use unless you know exactly what it is and if you know for sure 100% there haven't been any chemicals etc....

Back