Unexplained weight loss...any idea?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRose

So my little girl Arwen is losing weight and I am stumped. She is the girl I took in at the end of January and had babies April 7th. She did well nursing the babies and they are fine and healthy. Right now only her girl Goblin is with her. When I got her and weighed her for the first time about mid February she was 473g about (I don't have the paper with the weights right in front of me but aprox). At the heaviest during her pregnancy she was just under 600g. Since when I got her she was already pregnant I don't know what a normal weight is for her. She was on Mazuri but then I was trying something else that might be better for her and she has been eating the Purina Rabbit Pro Show. I did the transition over a month and though they waste some of it all 6 of my chins eat it. Its the only thing the babies have ever had. So she gets that, timothy hay and sometimes a rose hip, unsugared cheerio, and apple wood sticks as chews normally. So anyhow after the babies were born she dropped a bit, first down to her 473ish weight, then down to 456g and then 430, 419, 413, and right now she is at 409g. So what I have done so far....

- Been giving her lifeline everyday.
- Gave her some oats everyday to try to boost.
- Checked front teeth and tummy. No drooling and stomach feels normal.
- Kept her over night in the cat carrier to see how much she pooped. Since she was housed with her daughter I wanted to see who was doing what. Seems normal, not squishy or anything.
- Activity level is normal. She isn't hyper, very calm personality but she's about normal.
- She seemed to like the Mazuri better so I went out and got some and am slowly transitioning back. Don't want to shock her system.
- Don't have critical care on hand but I am ordering that too.

I am haven't yet but am calling the vet in the morning for an appt/consult (they are closed now) . I just wanted in the meantime to get thoughts/suggestions. Anything else I might try or look for?

When I have one with slow weight loss I always get a oral exam done under gas along with a x-ray-not all chins drool with teeth issues. Meegus who had severe malo and elongation never drooled nor did Tiki. Rather than CC I would give some lifeline, CC does not put on weight and I found LL does due to the alfalfa base.

I called but my vet office is closed for the whole weekend, didn't have their usual 8-12pm hours today. They will be open again Monday morning. I have been giving her Lifeline but she is still losing. If she had something like malo, how much do those chins still eat? I saw her both last night and this morning at her food dish although I am not sure if she is eating as much as she use to. I never actually weighed how much she ate before.

How much would you give of Lifeline a day for weight loss? I have the instructions that came with it and I have been giving her that recommended dose a day.

"OXBOW CRITICAL CARE 141GM**"

Is this THE critical care everyone uses? I saw it on the list of things the feedstore I go to sells, wanted to see if it was the same thing.

If it were giardia, her kits should have it as well.

That should be THE critical care, Barbie. When my chins are sick I make sure they take at least 60cc's daily of lifeline. If you can get more in them, then get more in there. If you hear any gurgling in her stomach, I would also start her on some simethicone.

I think X-rays would be a good idea, full body and teeth. Good luck and I hope it's something small and easy to fix! ;)

It is entirely possible that one chin in a cage shows symptoms of giardia while another one in the same cage does not. Regardless, it was just a possibility that I wanted to mention.

Claudia

When I feed LL as a food replacment I give 45ml a day, if I am giving a chin a boost after a loss I will supplement 10ml a day if the chin is eating on its own.

Well I got the CC today and started her on it. What is simethicone and where would I get that? Sorry I am not on much right now but I am reading everybody's suggestions. Thanks all!

Tabs- 60cc's of CC mixed as per the directions on the bag?

Also anybody ever try or know anything about trying Lifeline and Critical Care together? Just wondering, not doing that but I thought about it today and thought I would ask. I'll update tomorrow, see if the CC does any good.

You can mix them but I prefer to feed one or the other. Simethicone is baby human gas drops-you get it at the drug/grocery store in the baby medication department. One dropper full every couple of hours if you are treating gas. I mix my CC to a thick milkshake consistancy, same with the lifeline.

Waiting waiting...Arwen has a 4:30pm appt today. Time is ticking by slowly. :waiting: She is still eating and drinking but I'm noticing the poops were smaller last night. Hoping we can find what's wrong today...

The only time I've ever mixed Lifeline with CC was when I got the non-flavored (plain) CC, but I don't see anything wrong with mixing CC and and Lifeline together. They also sell the Apple-Banana flavored CC and I didn't add anything into that other than water. The chins' that I have fed CC to have always devoured the Apple-Banana flavored CC without a problem. Good luck at the vets.

Just a quick update. Took Arwen to Dr. Greek yesterday. He looked at her, checked teeth, etc and didn't see anything that would explain why she is so thin. Said her teeth looked great, felt nothing when palpating her stomach. We discussed the possible tests that could be done and I asked him what he thought would be best. He said if he saw anything that worried him at all he would tell me what sort of tests to do no question. But we decided that since she had seemed to prefer her previous feed and maybe her girl kit Goblin may be a piggy or bothering her, etc to switch back her feed and take Goblin away for now see if that helps. Also going to continue the Critical Care. If that doesn't help then, like she doesn't gain more or especially if she gets worse then we will reevaluate. Now I have to decide where to put Goblin. My extra cage is in use already for a healing chin. But yeah, hopefully she does better. I love the little one.

Back