Unexpected babies!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revann

Hi there,

I have had my little girl Icy, for 2 years now. Her mate has been with me 1. They have never been housed together but have often run around while supervised. They must have gotten a quickie in somewhere a while back because on May 7th two little kits were in the cage.

I have read up on it, but am still concerned for the health of the momma and kits. She doesn't let them go far from her or explore the cage much. She lets me take the babies and weigh them with no issues. #1 was 44g on day 1, then 45g day 2. #2 was 50g day 1, and 48g day 2. Kit #1 seems slightly aggressive at meal time.

How do I know the babies and momma are ok. and what do I need to look out for before stepping in to help. How do i know she is producing milk.
I am just so worried about the three of them.

Dad seems moppy and very interested in babies.

Babies aren't unexpected when males and females play together. It doesn't take long at all, as I'm sure you know now.
I suggest either getting the male neutered or no longer allowing them to play.

Continue weighing them daily (around the same time each day). If they are eating they should be gaining weight.

Hopefully a breeder will see this and give you more advise.

As for the male being moppy, try spending one on one time with him as he does not need to be around the female. He can just as easily breed her back.
If you are luckily, one of the kits will be a boy and one will be a girl and then each parent can have a cage mate and only have playtime with the cagemate.

Last edited:
Back