Unemployment

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been unemployed as of this past Monday. I just graduated with my Bachelor's in December (three majors and a minor) and my internship with the nation's largest defense contractor ended this past Friday. I initially had a job offer for once I graduated with my degree, but it was rescinded due to a major contract loss with the government. I'm still waiting to see if my claim for unemployment is even approved since I just got done with an internship.

I've had a few interviews already this week, but I'll tell you, I'm bored out of my mind without work or classes for the first time in what seems like forever. I'm so used to having SO much on my plate... I'm going crazy without things to do. Good thing that I have a wedding to plan for in September. =) I can keep myself occupied during the day by going to floral consultations, visit reception sites, try wedding dresses on, and such! I'm even HAND sewing fleece liners for the girls (and I DO own a sewing machine, but it doesn't help me pass the time as easily). Only thing is that we want to buy a house here this year... the sooner, the better. And while I've already got an excellent credit score and 20% down payment ready, it's going to be difficult to get pre-approved WITHOUT A JOB!

Oh, I'm dying to go back to work...

Last edited:
US economy running slow has started to have an impact over here in Canada. My mom's shop used to have 500 employees and 3 different working shifts. Now they're down to 250 employees and are closing the factory a couple weeks here and there until things start going better. I'M lucky, I'm a teacher, so I won't really be laid off.... I just get smaller contracts some years.

CA UE max is $450/week, and you have to be rather well paid by other states' standards to make that. I'm down at $330/wk....so if I was making $18/hr...ya'll can do the math.

Which is why I chose to stop my breeding herd last spring. I saw the writing on the wall then. It's so bad here in San Diego, I think last reports had us with the highest numbers in the state (CA) for UE. And that doesn't count those who didn't file or have fallen off the UE-boat, or didn't qualify because they were fired with cause/quit.

When I was unemployed, I used to play this game called Guild Wars. OMGosh was it time consuming... haha.

I heart Guild Wars!!!!

There is a chance I might be unemployed next year. I am a first year teacher and the superintendent is having a meeting Tuesday afterschool to discuss what we can do about the economic crisis. If he eliminates teaching positions, I will be one of the first to go. :-/ If that happens, I'll probably substitute teach again.... and maybe pick up some volunteer work with meals on wheels or something to pass the time...

I've been unemployed since December. Laid off during one of the Circuit City waves. As bad as I feel for those losing their jobs as each store finishes liquidating now, it has given me closure to see them close after what a pain the company was to so many people.

And it took me 2 months to find that job *sigh* ... I don't qualify for unemployment because I didn't work there long enough. They also kept me on PT even though I worked more than 40 hours a week regularly.

Luckily my fiance is a manager at a deli, and makes decent money. We've got enough to pay bills, which is my concern. He makes too much money to qualify us for any other financial assistance.

Latest posts

Back