Un-bonding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydz

So I think instead of bonding more with my chins, I am having the reverse happen. It is getting harder and harder for me to get them out for playtime. Maybe it is just me since it seems my husband can get them out easier. I try to pick them up and they just cack at me and jump right out and then hide under their spin where I can't reach them. I have to bribe them with supplement to pick them up. But when I am in their playpen with them, they have no problems jumping all over me or letting me hold them for a little bit.

How can I make this better??

They are just being pains in the butts because they are in their cage. I think chins are a little bit brain damaged that way. They hate to be touched, hate to be picked up, but once you get them out they hate to go back to their cage!

Just ignore the kacking and fussing and get them out as best you can. It's obvious that they are fine with you when they are out, or they wouldn't visit with you and let you hold them.

Have you changed anything personally? Soap, perfume, shampoo, etc.? Another on here changed her pants [?] and everything was fine again! Go figure!

Have you changed anything personally? Soap, perfume, shampoo, etc.? Another on here changed her pants [?] and everything was fine again! Go figure!

Haha, no I don't think so. Though with their shedding lately maybe I should keep one pair of pants for chin time.
I'm just afraid that when I try to pick them up, I may be a bit rough without wanting to and am starting to scare them so they don't want me anymore.
My husband yells at me when I hold them especially when they squirm but how else will they get use to it.

totally agree with Tunes. I have a girl who is the worst nightmare with you in her cage. She sprays, she bites she kacks, once I get her out--get past all that fuss she is so sweet and loving.

Even though we know we are their owners, maybe chins don't quite get the concept. They really just can't be 100 percent trusting as they are prey animals.

Sometimes when I'm on the recliner and I move my leg my whole crew spazz's and run for cover thinking I'm a hawk swooping down. And I sit here with them every night--they should know it's just me, but they don't.

Mine act the same way! I just think it's in their nature like everyone else said. Mine do not like to be held at all though. Ashe will sit on my shoulder thats it. Kunya I just pick him up for playtime. They both use me as a human jungle gym at playtime though, so I know they love me!

I have a girl that hates to be picked up out of her cage. Once she is out she will sit on my lap and watch TV until she falls back to sleep or decides to play. Odd little critters.

Well I am glad it is not just me and that I am not causing them more harm then good.
Yes they are odd and I will say that the WARE playpen has saved me for play time. My boys will not sit in one place long enough and are not fascinated by TV so the playpen is great. Of course they are still babies.

They are just being pains in the butts because they are in their cage. I think chins are a little bit brain damaged that way. They hate to be touched, hate to be picked up, but once you get them out they hate to go back to their cage!

Just ignore the kacking and fussing and get them out as best you can. It's obvious that they are fine with you when they are out, or they wouldn't visit with you and let you hold them.

:laughitup:

this is so very true, same here, I have a few like that.

Yeah, I agree with everyone. If nothing has changed (soaps, lotions...) than they're probably just being brats. Every once in a while my one chinnie gets an attitude for no reason. 10 minutes later she's fine with me. Go figure!

Its pretty typical chinnie stuff. You can try and see if you can bribe them to come out onto your hand but if you can still get them out and they are fine and not trying to run from you I would say you are still doing good.

Back