Uh sudden shyness?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yuudoku.Niji

Okay so yesterday I posted a thread asking about my chinchilla and him trying to mount my hand. Now, tonight, I took him out to play with him and let him run around and he is all of a sudden like really shy and scared! Usually when I take him out, he becomes hyper and really adventurous! And now when I pick him up he starts shaking like crazy and tries to run like hes going to die, then he hides wherever he can, so far hes been up my shirt, under my blankets and all over my room. Hes been darting to like the closest hiding spot he can find! What do I do? He's really worrying me.

Right now, hes under my blankets next to me. Whenever I peek under and look at him, he starts shaking as well :(

If he is young he may be working out dominance things and pushing him away could have scared him. I'd put him back in the cage and work with him like you just got him. Hopefully in a few days he'll be back to normal. Also remember that what may seem gross to us is natural to them. If you get angry or disgusted they can feel it and be scared.

If he is young he may be working out dominance things and pushing him away could have scared him. I'd put him back in the cage and work with him like you just got him. Hopefully in a few days he'll be back to normal. Also remember that what may seem gross to us is natural to them. If you get angry or disgusted they can feel it and be scared.

Oh. Alright I will. And well I barely felt angry or disgusted. I felt that for like a moment when he did it and he was alright for the rest of his playtime. I also sleep a lot of the day due to sleeping issues and I sort of feel that something happened to him while I was sleeping. I live with my parents and I have a younger brother, and I wouldn't doubt my brother walking in and doing something as I wont let him hold Ashe because of the way he has treated animals he's had in the past. So yeah :/

I live with my parents and I have a younger brother, and I wouldn't doubt my brother walking in and doing something as I wont let him hold Ashe because of the way he has treated animals he's had in the past. So yeah :/

Lock your door or figure out a way to lock the cage. Knowing you live with someone that mistreats animals makes you an informed pet owner that is responsible for the fate of the animals brought in to the house. Protect your chin and get a lock. I can tell you from experience with someone in my own family that mistreatment of animals is not usually a one time thing. :(

Lock your door or figure out a way to lock the cage. Knowing you live with someone that mistreats animals makes you an informed pet owner that is responsible for the fate of the animals brought in to the house. Protect your chin and get a lock. I can tell you from experience with someone in my own family that mistreatment of animals is not usually a one time thing. :(

I'm only 15 and the thing is, my mom would throw a fit if I locked my door for more time than changing purposes, and I tried talking to her about it but all she had to say was that my brother would never walk in my room but he certainly has done so in the past and still today. Also, she would never approve of me locking Ashe's cage, and both my parents yell at me when I don't let my brother hold him, but they don't quite understand how fragile chinchillas are and how my brother treats animals. We had a cat that had been abused in the past and didn't like people and he would like maul her like no tomorrow and scare her more :(

Maybe explain that chinchillas don't like to be held and that nobody should hold him still even you. I really hope you can work something out.

Just by a lock for the cage itself, with a key or combination for the door(s). If it's one of the ones with a metal top and plastic bottom, Idk how exactly to go as far as securing the bottom properly enough, but you do indeed have to take some measures to ensure your baby's safety. That's part of the responsibility of being a chin mommy:) !

Back