Ughh water bottles

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimichi

I'm pretty much sick of glass water bottles. This is the second time that the water bottle has completely leaked all over Mimi's cage. Luckily she didn't get wet. It was a full bottle of water last night, check it tonight and it's completely empty. Lord knows for how long. Are there any other alternatives or better bottles/brands out there? I just keep buying the ones from Petsmart, but obviously they don't last very long. @ A @ Any help is appreciated.

If you are talking about those super pet glass bottles with the floating ducky then there is a few tricks to them. You have to make sure it's filled all the way to the top, also make sure the rubber ring in the cap is pushed down so it seals properly and tip it right side up after filling and tap the ball a couple times to make sure you have created a vacuum in the bottle. If you want an alternative I know a lot of people seem to like those lixit flip top bottles, the ones with the valve instead of ball. It can take a chin time to get the hang of them though so you need to leave the old bottle on the cage until you know they are drinking from the new one. Also from what I've seen those lixit bottles are plastic so you'll need to cover it with something so the chin doesn't chew it up.

Honestly. I get cheep water bottles at the farm and feed store where I get my feed. They cost me $2.50 and they are the awesome. They are plastic so the must go on the or side of the cage, but they never leak!

I've tried all of those tricks honestly. I usually don't have a problem with them, but every great once in awhile they magically leak out an entire bottle into her cage. Not even sure how to be honest. I just refilled it awhile ago, so she could have something to drink, and it's perfectly fine. However, now my little mouse can't even get water out of his. It seems like the angle it's at makes the water not come out or something. I'm not sure. But he's in a large aquarium so I can only hang it on the inside. I'm going to go look around tomorrow and see what I can find.

Get lixits. I just retired my more than 10 year old lixit because the seal finally went bad. Bought 3 more. :p I also had critter canteens but they are plastic and despite being on the outside of the cage one female did decide to chew a tiny hole in the top. So it's all glass lixits for the chins now and the old plastic lixit and critter canteens go on my rabbit cages.

All water bottles should be filled completely with room temp water to help establish the vacuum necessary to prevent leaking.

I would go with Lixit. They are a very dependable brand and haven't failed me yet! Plastic is fine as long as they can't get to it through the bars. Otherwise, you can get metal water bottle guards if you need to.

I just use the plastic bottles, but slide a thin piece of wood between the bottle and the cage walls. I've never had a bottle chewed yet :)

chins should NEVER be housed in an aquarium - know matter how huge. How are is the chin able to climb and jump which chins love to do? Also chins NEED more air circulation than any aquarium can give. It will get too hot for the chin in the summer also

It sounds like it is about a chin in a normal cage and a mouse in an aquarium, but she is having problems with water bottles in both

Back